"BACK IN THE DAY" . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al Kirchner with his "Little Joe II" comparing models with Estes' "Saturn Ib" held by Jaroslav Broz at a NARAM 9 in 1967.
This picture appeared in Time magazine and blew me away...I had been flying my little Estes Little Joe II.
I knew there was a Saturn 1 B and some larger two stagers, but this big scale model was amazing to me.
little Joe II - Al Kirchner.jpg

More pictures and info on the event here:
https://www.airplanesandrockets.com/rockets/milestone-in-mankato-jan-1968-aam.htm

I think that’s a Centuri Excalibur behind me as I am loading my Thunder ROC on the pad.
vlcsnap-13808782-jpg.188208

Last edited:
DART_KingViper3_1986_cleanup.jpg
Original DART California crew at Lucerne Dry Lake, 1986. L-R: Dave Cook, Jeff Brewer, Don Brent, Kenny Harkema, Todd White. The LOC KV3 flew on 3 Aerotech J motors.

Unfortunately, no surviving photos of the "Rocket Gang" from 1970's in Cleveland, TN. I remember flying almost daily with a kid named Walter Hamilton. If you're out there, Walt--I hope you're still flying.

Loving this thread. Keep 'em coming.

Does anyone know who the guy in this pic is ( his daughter is standing with him ) ?

I believe he was a Member of UROC in Utah ?

( Pic is circa 1998 - 2000, I think )

Dave F.

a598cfddf354881f713c14443dca94e5.jpg

No pics, photography was in its infancy back then. :D Started flying rockets about 1963, 1965 I did a tethered Gyroc flight for a science fair in the Huron, SD arena. Fun times. My favorite rocket back then was the Estes Wac Corporal. I think this is my third time as a BAR. :rolleyes:

Cb110twr1.jpg
My Cloudbuster 110 in 1992. Powered by a Vulcan O3000SS-40. (L-R) Pius Morazumi, Earl Cagle, Me inserting starter, John Cato.
CB110V3.jpg

PM Magazine.jpg PM Magazine.jpg Our local CAP squadron provided a demo for the local PM Magazine crew around 1984. This "rocket garden" was set up to help bridge a program segment.

I started back in 75 but no pics until this, 95 I think. It was at one of the Roar at the Shore events in south Jersey. My first Rocketry scratch build.217193_1744606134172_1209323770_31956083_5764410_n.jpg 217389_1744605894166_1209323770_31956082_372706_n.jpg

Unfortunately, no surviving photos of the "Rocket Gang" from 1970's in Cleveland, TN. I remember flying almost daily with a kid named Walter Hamilton. If you're out there, Walt--I hope you're still flying.

Loving this thread. Keep 'em coming.
By the time I got started in rocketry I was no longer photo-worthy, so nothing was ever taken of the group of guys I flew with either. (Not surprising, because it only lasted a few weeks.) I do still see all of them on occasion, or at least talk to them on Facebook.

A nice collection. How many have survived all the moves?

Believe it or not, all of them.

I made it a priority to save certain items from my youth and all my rocket stuff was packed up and has moved with me from location to location.

Things have come full circle for me as I have moved back to the family homestead to help take care of my elderly Father (He's now 89 years old).

One of the rockets, my Estes Astron Ranger (Red/White/Blue), is on a shelf in my old room like it was many years ago.

Back