Back From NSL!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
My Report:

Saturday:

Saturday It mostly rained, so I spent most of the day talking to people and vending. First walk through the vendors, I noticed that the "rocket garden" had G64 loads in stoclk. Ryan and I stocked up :D I finally meet Ross from Magnum hobbies. I bought an Ellis Mountain G35-6 from him. There were launches towards the end of the day. My Which Ways Up flew again, but suffered a sep. Both pieces were found by the end of the day.

I then launched my Initiator with an Aerotech F62-6T motor. It landed in the tall grass, and I got soaked walking through it. And it is hard finding the rocket... I could not see it till I was five feet away. My final launch was my GeForce with a Ellis G35-6. That motor did not have enough thrust. The rocket went horizontal and landed far away, on the other side of the hill. Luckly, a group of scouts volunteered to find the rocket for me. They did.

Ryan and I made an interesting observation. When Blue Thunder motors are launched in humid, drizzley conditions, the smoke turns a real thick white!!! COOL :cool: I was tempted to fire off one of my G80's, but decided not to because it started raining again. At the end of the launch, I bought some more stuff. I bought a couple shirts from Fliskits, and two more G35's from Hanger 11 (they were cheaper then Magnum!!!)

Sunday:

Sunday was the day to launch!!!! Ryan and I spent the setup time getting the American Spirit ready. I added altimeter support, so we loaded the charges and the recovery system for Dual Deploy. Then time to prep the G35's. Ryan and I removed the ejection charge from all seven motors, and plugged the touch holes with wadding. Then we installed the motors. The AS was ready to fly, but we decided to wait until the ceiling improved. So we got other things to fly. I flew my Jayhawk with a G35-7W, but it got lost. It landed about 3/4 mile from the launch site. I walked the distance in the tall wet grass, but could not find it. When I came back, I was told I was too far to the right. Carl said he will look for it on Monday for me. What a guy :).

When i got back from my trek into the unknown, the ceilng cleared, so Ryan and I decided it was time to put the AS up into the heavens. We loaded the Magnelite igniters, got a pad, and soon the moment of truth came. All Seven motors ROARED to life... and the rocket majesticly and swiflty flew to 2900 feet... I love that three second burn!. The drogue deployed on time, and the main came out at 600 feet. The chute got tangled so it did not open, but the rocket landed in tall grass. It was recovered without damaged.

Next up was another project Ryan and I were itching to fly, for about two years now... our hybrid Mirage! The H70 roared to life and the Mirage left the pad in a hurry. My homemade timer worked great, deploying both chutes shortly after apogee. I did not include an altimeter, so I did not know how high it went. Next time I will make sure to include one.

I then helped Ryan Sebastian launch his new LOC 5.38 V2. Great flight. To celebrate the launch, both Ryan and I bought a Pro38 1G case from Hanger 11, I got one G69 load, Ryan bought 2. I flew mine in my Minie Magg, triming the delay to 5 second (-7 seconds). My MM is on the heavy side, so it was under powered... but the delay deployed the chute right on time. It landed close to the pads too, so I did not have to walk in the grass.

The trip to NSL was worth the time. I learned alot, and saw a couple M flights. We helped Robert DeHate get his L3 ready for flight, but there was a o-ring problem with the Injecter of the Hypertek M1000. He will try Monday. The Big Deuces Wild flew great! Carl launched it with two Pro38 Smoky Sam I212 motors. BEAUTIFUL. I took several shots with my camera! I am developing the film today.. .I will post the pictures ASAP!!!

Please share your stories, and email any pictures you have of my birds to [email protected]. I will post videos and pictures soon! Please share your stories.

Sounds like you had a great time! Sorry to hear about the loss of the Jayhawk. :( Hopefully, Carl will spy it for you. About those Ellis G35's, are those the 7 second burn motors? At least, that's what I read on rmr.

Thanks for the report Doug! Did you take your film to a one hour place or are we gonna have to wait and wait and wait???? ;)

Sorry to hear about the rain on Saturday (kind of a recurring trend here lately). But glad Sunday worked out well. What kind of weather were they expecting today?

No they definantly don't have much "umph" I thought it would give my LOC IV a nice flight but it had a "less than verticle" flight.

The weather on Saturday was miserable. Not many rockets were flown and I was bummed out.
Although we couldn't fly rockets until the very end of the day, Saturday was not a complete loss. I talked to vendors and bought a ton of motors (I think I cam back with more than I went with). Eventually I got to the LOC tent. I talked to Barry from LOC and The owner of X Rockets. They were both really nice guys and didn't mind talking to me about their kits and sharing rocket stories. I started to talk to Barry about my LOC V2. I brought it down to his tent to show him and he loved it. I ended up leaving the kit their so he could display it.
Barry offered to fly some HP birds for Doug and I (he has a LEUP) but he ended up leaving early on Sunday:(

Sunday was completly different that Saturday. SOOO many rockets flew. At first the LSO was launching rockets very slowly but he was replaced and things went okay after that. I got a good number of flights in besides the ones I did with Doug. Also, our team flew my big V2. Thank you very much Carl and Doug for the assistance.

There were many cool rockets at the launch and I had fun. At the end of the day we took a rocketry forum picture and then it was back to MA :( :( :(

It's already been said, the weather sucked. I skipped Saturday and came down Sunday morning and stayed 'till Monday afternoon. It was well worth the drive.

I only had a total of 3 launches. My LOC Viper III (maiden flight) on D12-5's x 3. My LOC Onyx (also maiden flight) on a F25-6. An a Totally Tubular on a B4-4. I didn't fly Monday at all. I didn't have a dry pair of shoes to spare :D .

Finally got to see my first M flights. (There were 2 launched that I saw). That alone was worth the drive. The first was on a green gorilla. The second was a hypertech flight in an Armegedon.

There were alot of great flights. The LEGO rocket was sweet. But I gotta say that the most impressive flight was the upscale Deuces Wild. I believe they were on two I smokey sam motors (I could be wrong). The black smoke trails were exactly parallel to each other. She went up straight as an arrow. What a sight!

There was a ton of other cool flights. Too bad the weather didn't allow for more. I'll post some more of the notable stuff later if I get a chance.

Weekends

All I have to say is that Carl or jflis *better* have at least pics of the upscale Deuces Wild flight, preferably video. If they have no photographic proof at all I'm gonna have Milo do something ugly to their user accounts !!!

Don't worry... I have both pics and vids to post... should be up in a couple hours if I don't get sidetracked by other important things...

yeah I got the video. I think the rocket moved out of the shot for a little bit but you can see most of the rocket. Does anyone know if Robert DeHate got his L3 on Monday? Where there many flights Monday?

Ryan S.

There were a few flights on Monday. Mostly low and mid power with a sprinkle of high power. I left around 1245 pm. There were no cert. flights till then.

Weekends

The Deuce was AWESOME! I met Carl and hung out with him all weekend. Great guy.

Doug, in another post I mistakenly called the American Spirit the "American Dream." Sorry about that. Great job with the hybrid flights. I took a whole bunch of digital pictures. When I get them all on the computer and resized I will post a link to my photo site.

For now you will just have to settle for a picture of the Deuce:D.

Super pic of the big Deuce! Congrats Carl! Hope it makes a national mag :D

OK. I finally got all my pics loaded, so here's my report.

Saturday was spent hitting up the vendors. I got some 29mm tubing for a 29mm minimum diameter rocket for an F10 that I had. I built it that night at the campsite. I also got an Ellis Mountain G35. I finally got to meet Jim Flis. Very nice guy.

Sunday was awesome. I first flew my Tethys on an H128. Nice short but sweet flight. Then I met Carl. He let me hold the Dueces Wild. That thing is Heavy! I also got to help him fly and retrieve his scale Harpoon missile. I flew the 29mm minimum diameter named "Gone for Good" on the F10. Very cool motor. It has an 8 second burn! It had a separation though. My dad found the 12 foot nylon streamer and the nosecone. Someone also found the body stuck in the ground about a foot. Then I flew my Hawk Mountain Raptor on a G64. It is an all fiberglass 29mm minimum diameter rocket. It flew very high and landed about a 1/4 of a mile away. My last flight of the day was kind of a last minute decision. I flew my Public Enemy Extreme Performer on a J350 for my Level 2 cert. I really hadn't planned on certing this weekend, but my uncle had a J350 that he said I could use for free! I had taken the test the day before and I got a 100 on it. At the end of the day, they said that if you wanted to fly, you had t be in line by 6:00. At about 5:15, I made the descision to go for it. I was in line by 5:50. After getting it on the pad and loading two Quickburst ingnitors, we snapped a pic and walked back. After a quick countdown, it absolutely ripped of the pad. It went perfectly straight up. At apogee, the drouge came out. At about 1,500 the main compartment opened up and the main chute came out. It drifted really far, but I got it back and I had my level two.

On Monday, I helped my Dad fly his Binder Design Excel Plus on an H73J. I used two igniters again. The 3 year old Blackjack motor lit in under a second. I then flew my Dueces Wild on 2 C6-5s. After the flight, Jim Flis was kind enough to sign it.

There were a few notable flights over the weekend. One was definitely the big Deuce. Everything about that flight was perfect. Doug finally got his hybrid Mirage in the air for a nice flight. His American Spirit was great. Nice and loud, fast and high. The Jayhawk flight was great. It's to bad that it wasn't recovered. I saw Ryans V2 go up, but I didn't get a picture. The two M flights were awesome. Robert Dehate flew his level three rocket on a Kosdon K700 for the last flight of the day. There weren't too many hyrid flights. Sadly, Douglas Pratt had to leave because of a death in the family.

The neatest part of the weekend was meeting all the people from the forum. I met JFlis, CTulanko, kgholloway and n3tjm. Maverick was also there. He was the LCO all day Monday. I just realized that I stood behind Weekends in line. He had his Loc Viper III and I had my Gone For Good.

My pictures can be found at NSL pictures

Great report, Nick. You definitely have the knack for catching great liftoff photos, too.

Nick, some great photos bro... Got a few questions though:

Pic 16: Congratulations on your level 2!!! So, who is the ugly guy standing beside your rocket? :D (Just kidding - couldn't resist)

Pic 22: What are Mach rings? Is this the same green rocket you have in pic 1?

Pic 34: what is that grey mass between the flame and rocket? If it was a pro38 then I would swear that it was a casing coming out.

Photo 22: If you click on the picture yu can see a full size picture. Look at the flame. You should see little horizontal lines going across the flame. These are called mach rings or mach diamonds. I'm not exactly sure what causes them. No, it's not my rocket.

Photo 34: The gap between the flame and the rocket is a thin wisp of flame and the tip of the launch rail.

Maybe someone can explain what causes mach rings and why some motors have a gap between the motor and the flame.

Guys, Thanks for sharing your pics. It looked like a lot of fun to be there.:)

This has happened on every Epson Photocenter album that I look at, I can see all the thumbnails fine but when I click on one to see the larger version I get a 'Sorry, this photo is unavailable' where the photo should be.

Others seem to be able to view them fine, what am I doing wrong?

Sounds like everyone had a great time and Deuce looked great!

Ah, the diamonds, I know what those are. Unfortunately I don't see them. :( In fact I have had them show up at launches and be pointed out by others, "Look at the diamonds." "Did you see the diamonds?" Unfortunately I have never seen em... :(

I've never seen them in person. I didn't know they were there until I loaded the pictures on the computer.

Mike,
The same thing happens on my neighbors computer. I don't know what the problem is. You could try contacting the customer service.

Those are great pics. I think I know what a couple of the 'unknowns' are.
When I have more time I will email you. I have a picture of my V2 but I need to set it up. Doug, can you upload the pic?

Originally posted by Rocketman248
Photo 22: If you click on the picture yu can see a full size picture. Look at the flame. You should see little horizontal lines going across the flame. These are called mach rings or mach diamonds. I'm not exactly sure what causes them. No, it's not my rocket.

Well, it has been a while since I was in school, and I have slept since then. But let me take a shot anyway.

Mach diamonds form in an exhaust flowfield when a supersonic flow (like through a rocket nozzle) expands and decelerates into the surrounding ambient air. What you see as the sides of the diamonds are shock waves formed as the flow slows down; the shock waves bounce off the boundary between exhaust and ambient, and reflect back into the exhaust flow but farther downstream. As the pressures and temperatures change across the shock waves (inside the exhaust flow), the hot gasses can have minor changes in chemistry that cause the different emissions of visible light.

BTW, I also didn't see any diamonds in the exhaust flow picture posted online on your website.

You have to click on the picture to see the full size. They aren't all that spectacular, but they are there.

Time For Some Pictures and Videos!!! These are a few of the pictures I took.

Saturday MAY 24th

"Fliskits!... Fliskits!... Come get your Fliskits!" Jim Flis was busy both days I was there! I even heard him telling the story about some crazy guy chad staging the Deuce.... wait.... that crazy guy was ME!!! :eek:

My "Which Ways Up?!" flies with a C6-5.

My Intiator with an F62-6T motor.

My G-Force with a Ellis G35-6 motor.

Sunday MAY 25th

My Jayhawk takes off with the power of a G35-7W motor. I lost the model in the tall grass. Unfortunatly the model was not found. Click Here for the Vid :)

Carl proudly holds his Super Duece! The mighty Deuce takes off with the power of two I212SS motors. The smoke trail was impressive all the way up! After burnout, the smoketrail looked like a huge tornado! Here is the video!

My American Spirit took a while to prep... take a look at the G35 motors ready for installation.
It flew great with seven G35-7W motors that were plugged. A transolve PK altimeter (kit) was used for dual deploy. The main chute got tangled, but the AS landed in the tall grass witout damage. As you can see, all seven motors ignited :D. Special thanks to Ryan for buying four of the motors. Here is the video. Not the best video, but it is better than nothing.

Ryan and I finally launched our Hybrid Mirage with a H70 Hybrid. Here is the Mirage ready for flight, and the flight.

Ryan wanted to launch his LOC 5.38 V2, and I had an I357, so Carl, Ryan and I flew the V2.

Finally, my Minnie Magg takes off with the power of a Pro38 G69 motor.

Doug,

that pix of Carl's Deuce's Wild! going is great. Is that a full size? could you send me a high-res version, if you have one????

jim

Jim, the liftoff is a cropped image... I can send you a high res version of the whole picture... or use the negatives to make a enlargement of that area, and send you a sample of that...

The flight photo is mostly the whole picture cropped.

Which one did you want?

Back