Back After 50+ Years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back I mentioned I would love to try building the Madcow Torrent, which can be used for both L1 and L2. Welllll...., it is no no longer available. I think Madcow has discontinued this model, and other online stores have sold out.

So, what model will fit both L1 and L2? I may never pursue L2 cert, but I wish to keep that open just in case.

Should I find a kit that has a 54mm motor mount, and purchase a 38 to 54 adapter? If I remember correctly, some 54mm engines are L1 compatible.

Right now I am looking for advice on where to start. I still haven't flown yet. Still trying to pull all the parts together to get a mid powered model in the air, but would like to start planning for L1. Caley Ann

There are lots of rockets that can do both L1 and L2. I would highly suggest you don't start working for L1 thinking the same rocket is going to be your L2 rocket. There are a number of reasons to build a L1 rocket and when you are ready, build a L2 rocket for that cert. First, the difference in motor power from the two ranges are printed and published, but until you build and fly a rocket using those ranges, you really don't have a good gut feeling for what the differences are. Yes, a L1 rocket with a 38mm MMT can handle a baby J and get you your L2 cert, but then you still only have a high flying L1 rocket, not a true L2 rocket. I would suggest you look at what it takes to fly your "home" field. What is the waiver, the average winds, etc. Build your L1 to stay well within that field and when you build your L2, do the same. If the waiver is 10,000 ft but smart fliers stay below 5k except on perfect flying days, the rocket that does that for your L1 will only see L2 sized motors on the rare "perfect" days. If you want to fly L2 on average days and stay in the field, you'll need a L2 rocket that flies on mid K motors the way your L1 rocket flies on large H or small I motors. You can't do both with the same rocket.

Now if you just want that L2 on your cert card, by all means stick that baby J in your L1 rocket and get the cert, then forget about large J, K or L motors.

Handeman, Thanks, that all makes a lot of sense.

I am a member of Tripli, and I joined ROC. Unfortunately, ROC seems a bit slow on sending my membership package. I don't even know what my membership number is, other than my application was processed and accepted.

I frankly don't think I will ever venture beyond L1, as the hobby is just so expensive, even in mid-powered levels. Once I get certified L1, I will probably fly once an outing with the big bird, and once with my mid-powered model. I just cannot afford the cost of the motors. And that is if I can ever find an motor that I can use to power the model. Seems that most are out of stock everywhere. I guess that being certified L2 and above is an advantage because there probably isn't such a big draw on available motors.

I think I will go with a stock DX3 for L1. I am not a speed or height fanatic. If it flys properly, then I will be happy. I am also getting older, so I don't have the energy to be walking all over the place to recover a model. I need them to land close. Basically what I am doing right now is part of my personal "bucket list", things I have wanted to do, but have not been able to do because of social attitudes, or just plain lack of time and money. Being retired helps a lot. Caley Ann

Back