Back after 30yrs.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance in AK

Reaction score
Hello all. I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy this forum. I just found it today, and have already spent several hours digging thru the threads.
I was involved in model rocketry in the early 70's while in the 4th-6th grades, & although I got out of it after that (for football? go figure) it never quite got out of my blood. A few years ago I gave a nephew a starter set for his birthday & helped him with a couple of launches. We live a few states away, & even though he enjoyed it I'm not sure the bug really bit him.
This year around Christmas my wife & I were in a hobby shop looking at stuff for our kids. She kept catching me in the rocket section, so Guess what I got for Christmas? An Estes Missle Command starter set & a Commanche-3 kit! I know that @ 42 I probably shouldn't be too excited, but I have to admit that was the gift I liked the best. Last Saturday we went out & I let each of my daughters launch a rocket twice, & I did the final launch.
After 30yrs away it was as fun as ever. My wife enjoyed it & my kids loved it(in spite of temps in the teens). I bought simple kits for both kids(daughters, 7 & 9) & my wife & we are all going to build them together. I bought a Misquito kit for myself to start on before I tackle the Commanche. It's been a long time.
Sorry for the long post, but it's fun to be back & I just want to thank everyone for the wisdom they share here.
Vance in Alaska

Your story sounds very similar to my own. The one thing, though, is that at 42, of COURSE you should have been excited! :D

I got back into things last spring and have been loving every moment of it ever since!

Great to have you on board.

A Super Humungous Welcome back to Rocketry!!!

You are going to find it has changed much since your last visit...Altimeters, HPR, Video, AP Motors, Midpower, MicroMaxx...it is endless...

Enjoy and at 42 you're still a young one compared to me and many others, so feel like a kid like I do and go play with your rockets again! :)

Welcome to The Rocketry Forum!!!

Carl

Greetings Vance!

I lived in Anchorage for 3 years between 98-01 (Elmendorf AFB). I had no idea people were flying rockets in Alaska! :eek:

Welcome back to the hobby. Most people who have rediscovered rocketry as a hobby have done so all thanks to grandkids, nephews, the internet, etc. I think the internet will be your best friend when it comes to getting the answers and info you need. With that said, here are some links to get you started.

https://www.rocketryonline.com (Check out their INFOCentral)
https://www.rocketreviews.com (A HUGE database of reviews rocketeers have submitted evaluating kits from manufacturers and much, much more.)

https://www.gbrocketry.com (This is what an unlimited budget coupled with rocketry can do for you! :D )

https://www.fliskits.com (An new entry level, internet based, low power rocketry vendor that offers a GREAT alternative to Estes rocket kits.)

eBay is a great place to find some out of production models up for auction.

There are tons of resources and vendors out there. You will spend countless late nights trying to read it all. If you need a break from it all, be sure to join us in the chat room! :D

Welcome aboard.

Originally posted by CTulanko
....Enjoy and at 42 you're still a young one compared to me and many others.....

Methuseleh would be a young one..... :D

Uh-oh, Vance!!! You've gone and done it now!! Life will never be the same!!!

42, you're just a pup. I discovered rocketry for the first time at 51 and I am having a ball. Just wait till people ask what you do for a hobby and catch the look on their face when you say "Rocketry". People think guys my age should be should be golfing, ugh :rolleyes:

Have a great time with your family. Build, build, then launch, launch. Glad to have you as a part of TRF. You will learn much here from a bunch of great people.

Swimmer

Hi Vance,

I too rediscovered rockets last spring. I have been having a ton of fun ever since. I have over 30 nieces and nephews, (my wife has a HUGE family) so I always have a good sized and enthusiastic recovery team. Stop by my website and check out what I have accumulated/learned in less than a year!!

It is big fun!!

https://towrowrow.tripod.com/astronboy/

welcome to the club!

take MY motto to heart... "I may be getting older, but i REFUSE to grow up!"

Been doing rocketry, non-stop, since 1963. Heck, my f*rts smell like burnt black power! LOL

you're going to love all the new things you can do! ;enjoy these forums (best on the net) and feel free to pipe in with your comments, questions and observations!

jim

Welcome back to the hobby! My story is similar to yours with the exception that I played around with rockets in High School. Since I "found" it again two years ago I've been having a ball. I wish you all the enjoyment you can find in your renewed interest.

Ken Holloway, NAR 78336, L-1

WELCOME!!!

Vance this is a great forum with lots of real nice folks. Im 38 and still new to rocketry. I never had the chance to get into rockets as a kid. The folks told me they were to dangerous (You'll shoot your eye out!) So as a man one day I decided to check into it. Oh boy little did I know. That day was around the end of Sept. of this past year. :kill:

Thanks for the encouraging replies everyone. It is good to know I'm not the only middle aged guy getting reinterested in what was once a childhood persuit. After all, I'm 42 & a dad. I'm the pastor of a church. I'm all grown up! Boy it's good to be all those things & still be able to have fun.
I look forward to getting aquainted with you all.
Thanks also for the links to other pages. Checked out a couple already, very helpful.
Well it's off to supper & then to the basement to start building rockets with my kids.
Allready thinking of tackeling a rocket class or club at my daughter's school.
Vance in Alaska.

Vance,

You're in for it now, this rocketing stuff is cool when you're a real kid, but it is AWESOME as a grown up kid!!

Welcome to the fray, enjoy yourself, and fly those birds!!

This is a really great forum. You'll find people to answer all your questions whether big or small.

Have a blast!!:D

bmhiii

Welcome. Nice to have you in the forum!

Nick

Welcome back to rocketry Vance. Being a BAR(Born Again Rocketeer) myself, I think I'm probably having just as much or maybe even more fun with this hobby then I did when I was younger.
Like the saying goes..."you're never too old..." ;)

Vance, it's always nice to have another young'un re-enter the hobby. I've been in and out twice and this time it may just stick. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Welcome Vance!
I just found your thread and thought you might get a kick out of some rocket s from the 70s!!
This is the tilt-a-pad launch pad I built in Highschool shop class!

That last pic was a launch in my parents front yard in 1974!
The open area is about 30 x 40!
I don't recall if I ever recovered the rocket.
It was one of my first pictures with my brand new Yashika Electra 35mm camera!
Here's a black & white from my original Brownie Hawkeye:
I started out at an early age entertaining the local kids with Rocket launches at the RockHill Quarry Ballpark!
I do not remember which, if any, of these rockets were Estes
kits or scratch built. Anybody recognize any of them?

As you can see, after more than 30 years of photographic experience, and the latest in technology, my pics are still blurred!
These were taken in August 1970!
Top left) Is that an Estes Alpha?
Top center) I think that was my brother's rocket!
Top right)Tilt-a-pad ready for action!
Bottom left) Arsenal on display!
Bottom cntr & left) Smoken!

No! I did not try to launch the Guinea pig!
Check out the record player!

Welcome to another BAR!
Vance it's alway nice to welcome a new youth member Ha!. There is just so many more things to do in Model, LMR and HPR now then we had back in the 70's, I will admit some of the old manufacturers aren't as diverse or have a extensive a product lines as they once did but now we have the internet as a source also.
Happy Flying!

Dr. Don,

great pix, but you should see if you can get them scanned in (many places can do this for you, possibly even wall mart)

These would make great additions to the thread on nastalgic pix *S*

jim

Back