Babylon 5 vs Batttlestar Galactica (Reboot)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which was better TV Sci-Fi?

• Babylon 5

• Battlestar Galactica (the reboot)

• I saw B5 but missed BSG

• I saw BSG but missed B5

• Don't ask me, I'm a Farscape/Stargate fan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mikus

Reaction score
Ok, need some help here settling a debate with a friend. I've got a buddy who literally devoured seasons 1-3 of the rebooted BSG in a week or so.

Yet cannot get thru season 1 of B5 in well... over a month now.

So a poll - when all was said, shown and done... which was the better Sci-Fi TV series?

Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica (the reboot)?

Tell why if you like but please try to keep the spoilers to a minimum. :D

BSG wasn't (isn't?) science fiction, it is a soap opera. Never saw B5.

Nothing beats Stargate SG-1.

Unlike Babylon 5 or BSG you didn't need to see the series from the begining to follow a single episode.

Battlestar Galagtic was, by far, the better of the two shows. Although, I enjoyed Babylon 5, the first season was dreadfully bad. Fortunately, the rest are better.

-- Roger

I have to say that B5 blow BSG out of the water IMO yes the first season was a bit slow but it had to introduce alot of characters and build them up but once thats done it gets better every episode.When it comes to BSG I am not on for remakes becuase they tend to be badly done but I have to say BSG took the worst episode of the original series and made it the overral theme of the new series which I thought was kind of ingenious but I thought that towards the end since they were in fear of being cancelled early they chopped some things togther that kind of ruined it for me.

Oh yes and Sandman your right Stargate SG 1 blows them both out of the water.

Last edited:
Judging the two series against each other based solely on content and not effects, I think B5 was the clear winner. Both series significantly advanced sci-fi on TV, but the coherence of Straczynski's vision over the 5 year life of B5 give it the edge.

Unfortunately, B5 fell apart once the series ended the main story arc. Most of the made-for-TV movies were dreadful.

It'd be interesting to see what B5 would look like with today's technology. Remember that much of the original effects were done on the Amiga!

FWIW, I'm a big SG1 fan as well, but would really like to see Firefly brought back to TV.

It'd be interesting to see what B5 would look like with today's technology. Remember that much of the original effects were done on the Amiga!
Well, when one of us wins the big prize in their state's Lotto, we can get Joe Straczynski to finish Crusade (the follow-on to Babylon 5). I read the script to episode 14 (only 13 were made) and the story was just about to make a major change in direction :eyepop: . Would've been cool despite TNT's meddling which caused continuity errors no matter in what order the first 13 are viewed. :bangpan: (sigh)

I voted for B5, but I did watch all of both series. Still trying to figure out the end of BSG's final episode. :confused:

Ok so i will not vote only because my choise is not their.

BSG TOS for the win baby... but i loved the new bsg and b5 so i'm not able to chose from them. :dark:

Firefly and Cowboy Bebop are my favorites.

I didn't get in to B5, and didn't have cable till towards the end of BSG so didn't get into either.

Sandman I disagree about SG-1, yes many episodes were stand alones and you didn't have to be to familiar with the Mega-plot, but some were very deep Mega-plot episodes. One of my roommates in college was a huge SG-1 fan, and I caught large sections of the series on DVD. It was like X-flies in a way, for creature of the week you were ok with out all the mega-plot but the mega-plot episodes were hard to follow if you weren't a regular fan.

Firefly and Cowboy Bebop are my favorites.

I didn't get in to B5, and didn't have cable till towards the end of BSG so didn't get into either.

Sandman I disagree about SG-1, yes many episodes were stand alones and you didn't have to be to familiar with the Mega-plot, but some were very deep Mega-plot episodes. One of my roommates in college was a huge SG-1 fan, and I caught large sections of the series on DVD. It was like X-flies in a way, for creature of the week you were ok with out all the mega-plot but the mega-plot episodes were hard to follow if you weren't a regular fan.

Firefly rocked...
Can't believe it was killed.

But given the choices I voted B5 because of the continuing and fairly continuous story line.

You can tell by my avatar which one I voted for. :)
I like all the others too but B5 is my favorite.

There is only one choice. B5. Nothing else even counts.
:D

Ok, so now that we have settled that, what's next?

When you “get over the hump” of season one, you start to see so many things changing and playing off of foundation pieces set up in season one. They get on a roll in Season-2. and there are some truly HOLY ****!! moments by the time of Season 3. Also there is a lot of "character growth", and "character descent" that you could not appreciate so well without knowing how they started out in season 1 and then evolved or de-volved.

Actually IIRC, the last three episodes of Season one is where things start to take off. The Babylon-4 (yes, 4) episode near the end of S-1 is especially notable....then...and LATER (I will say no more than that, nor should anyone else).

I went on to read some of the books that finished off parts of the story the show did not (if there had been a 6th season....).

OK, having said that, I enjoyed Galactica too. But Galactica mostly had a one-year-at-a-time sort of plan, like so many shows do. Even if they “knew” one day the idea was to reach “Earth” (except that got all Frakked up).

B-5 had the 5 year plan for the whole series, with lots of key parts interweaving and planned. Unfortunately some of those were affected by the fact that after Season-3, it looked like there ,might only be a season 4, so JMS ended up merging season 4 and seasons 5 outlines into season 4. Which made Season 4 incredibly strong. But when there was a 5th season after all, JMS had to write a new outline from scratch for that one last season, and IIRC he had spent something like seven YEARS creating the original 5 year outline (Imagine George Lucas writing the outlines of the first three Star Wars movies before going to a movie studio to try to interest them in making the first movie). So, Season 5 was not so snappy, the first part of the season sagged. But it too had an ending to it, actually a strong season ending and then a series ending (actually they had shot the series ending at the end of Season 4, just in case. Then when season 5 was a sure thing to happen, they did not show the series finale they shot at the end of Season-4, they saved it for the end of Season-5).

Another thing. The cast of the show had so many character actors that have often not done so much in other roles (not much before and not much since). So many of them were tremendous in their roles in B-5. One of the few some of you would know, Billy Mumy, who made up for his “Bad Sci-Fi-Karma” from Lost In Space, by his role as “Linnear” in B-5. And of all people, Walter Koenig, nice little Chekov from Star Trek, wow he really pulled off the character of a very twisted [self-deleted].

It was screwy how Babylon-5 was aired in the US. Some episodes were re-run three times, then they saved 3 or 4 episodes at the end of the season for the FALL, so the last 3 or 4 of Season 1 those pivotal ones, did not even run until October or so, 3-4 weeks before the new season started (Imagine the season finales of current TV shows in the last few weeks were not shown, but saved to be shown in September or October!) . And yet in England, they showed those end of season episodes several weeks earlier than here. Tom Beach and I were such big fans that one time, Tom arranged for a friend in England to video tape a few of those delayed end-of-season episodes and mail them to him, and then Tom quickly copied them and sent copies to me. And one time, when I was at the 1996 WSMC in Slovenia, Alex Seltsikas of England had taped an episode for me, and gave me the tape there. Our team bus had a VCR player on it, so as we drove from Slovenia to Italy nearly everyone on the bus watched that episode of B-5, and a few team members also were B-5 fans.

Of course, these days, people could Bit Torrent the shows. For the Dr. Who Fans, there are already two episodes of this season “out there” on Bit torrents, that ran on BBC months ago. There are only going to be 4 (or 5?) 90 minute episodes this year. And no telling when Sci-Fi or BBC America is going to show them here (probably not until the last one of the season has aired in the UK).

“No one ever listens to Zathras....”

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you will ever see. God sent me.

Whaddya hear, Starbuck?
Nothing but the rain, sir.
Then get your gun and bring the cat home.
Boom, boom, boom.

Just different sides of the same coin.

"Not the one."
I like them all, including Farscape. Having watched Farscape, it makes SG-1 that much funnier. I really loved that episode of SG-1 where the team was trying to help with the script of "Wormhole: Extreme!"

"Not the one."
I like them all, including Farscape. Having watched Farscape, it makes SG-1 that much funnier. I really loved that episode of SG-1 where the team was trying to help with the script of "Wormhole: Extreme!"

Too abscure...no one would get it.;)

Which part? "Not the one." or the SG-1/Farscape/Wormhole:Extreme reference? Both are actually obscure.

Which part? "Not the one." or the SG-1/Farscape/Wormhole:Extreme reference? Both are actually obscure.

Actually that was Martin Loyd's (the goofy producer) comment to Vala about a "Farscape" episode for "Wormhole Extreme".

"Too obscure, nobody would get it."

OMG...I am such a freaking nerd!:jaw:

Actually you can find all that stuff here.

https://stargate.mgm.com/seasons.php?series=1

I had to look it up. It's episode 6 (200) of season 10.

I thought Stargate SG-1 was especially fun because it took place here (part of the time) and now (most of the time). So, the characters could make topical references - mostly to humorous effect.

And it allowed the writers to make fun of the fact that they were (as most Sci-Fi shows do) borrowing elements from other Sci-Fi movies and shows.

"Yeah, I thought we were going with 'Red Leader' on this one ...."

Firefly was definitely a cut above every thing else - sci-fi or not - on television. Too bad it had such a short life.

-- Roger

Yes, season 1 of B5 is tough. D'linn's original makeup is horrible. I was never a hugh fan of Captain Sinclair.

I loved Steven's mission to the Mars colonies.

"You have 'pikel envy.'"

"This is the kind of a conversation that can only end in a gunshot."

"And that's when I shot him, Your Honor."

"Oh, Steven."

"I am the very model of a modern Major-General."

"AUGH! AUGH! AUGH! AUGH! AUGH!"

I thought Stargate SG-1 was especially fun because it took place here (part of the time) and now (most of the time). So, the characters could make topical references - mostly to humorous effect.

And it allowed the writers to make fun of the fact that they were (as most Sci-Fi shows do) borrowing elements from other Sci-Fi movies and shows.

"Yeah, I thought we were going with 'Red Leader' on this one ...."

Firefly was definitely a cut above every thing else - sci-fi or not - on television. Too bad it had such a short life.

-- Roger

SG-1 and especially Jack O'Neil is so...irreverent in general about most everything. I just love his attitude.

My favorite exchange ever on the show was when the team had a perplexing problem and Carter says, "Oh, I'm sure we can MacGiver something." The look on Jack's face was priceless!:D

Stargate, Jack O'neil, Richard Dean Anderson trivia question;

Who was Richard Dean Anderson's father in real life and what sci-fi movie was he in?

Bonus question;

What sci-fi TV show was his dad in?

First correct answer gets a free Goblin decal set!

Last edited:
My favorite exchange ever on the show was when the team had a perplexing problem and Carter says, "Oh, I'm sure we can MacGiver something." The look on Jack's face was priceless!

That might have been the pilot episode.

SG-1 and especially Jack O'Neil is so...irreverent in general about most everything. I just love his attitude.

My favorite exchange ever on the show was when the team had a perplexing problem and Carter says, "Oh, I'm sure we can MacGiver something." The look on Jack's face was priceless!:D

Stargate, Jack O'neil, Richard Dean Anderson trivia question;

Who was Richard Dean Anderson's father in real life and what sci-fi movie was he in?

Stuart Anderson; he was in no sci-fi movies.

Bonus question;

What sci-fi TV show was his dad in?

None.

:)

(Contrary to popular myth, Richard Anderson is not Richard Dean Anderson's father.)

-- Roger

Last edited:
(Contrary to myth, Richard Anderson is not Richard Dean Anderson's father.)

But, as far as totally useless trivia goes, I think Richard Anderson is the only actor to play the same character as a regular for two different shows that aired on two different networks.

-- Roger

I'm the guy Mikus is referring to and I think he's crazy to compare BSG to B5. In fact, Stargate SG-1 is also way out of B5's league. Granted, I've only made it through the first 6 episodes of B5 Season 1, but I don't know if I'll get any further.

B5 is just that. B acting/script with a score of 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Rank order best first:
1. SG-1
2. BSG
3. Everything Else....
100,000,001. B5
:neener:

-Mikelly

Last edited:
Back