Baby Stimulus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Not Quite Nominal

Reaction score
Greed and selfishness are terrible things. There are millions of people who have lost their jobs, businesses, not to mention the 4 billion people in the world who are living on just $ 3.00/ day. Think about that for a second if you can, most Americans living in the middle class can't even comprehend that.
I assure you, many of us can comprehend it for the simple reason that our parents immigrated here from exactly those places. We are quite aware of where we have landed in this world.

I may or may or may not use my relative wealth to help those people build self-sustaining first world economies. You'll never find out, as donations should be anonymous to be valuable. Broadcasting your donations mean they are no longer charity, they are merely social signalling.

Speaking of social signalling, enough with the "shame" (your words) and emotional appeals. We are people of reason and intelligence here. We're willing to have a rational discussion about how we can each use our enormous (from a global perspective) wealth most effectively, but the shaming and emotional appeals are an insult to our intelligence, and not worth engaging with.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You may find it insulting to your intelligence, but that doesn't make him wrong about what he says. That you don't like it has no effect whatsoever on its validity. Shame on you for rejecting a call to prioritize human problems.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Could we please stop with the personal conflicts? I realize we're all under a lot of stress right now. Allow the hobby to bring us together in something we all enjoy.

rcktnut

Reaction score
let's get back on topic and discuss ways to enrich other peoples lives with your handout, if you're so fortunate to be in a position that you don't need it.

I surely didn't plan on being in the mess I'm in at age 64, so I'll tell you how quickly life can change. 7 years ago I got attacked by fire ants while walking past a mound of them near my sons mailbox pushing a lawnmower as he couldn't mow his yard due to having MS. Within 3 months I had lost 95% of the nerves in my arms and legs, as the nerves tell the muscles what to do, I went from being 58 to 95 physically. Not being able to get up the steps of my house, not being able to pick up a screw off of a table, or turn the keys in my car door to unlock it. I had to quit working, but qualified for immediate disability. Now the bad part....i didn't get the first check for 5 months so like 90% of most people, I didn't have that much in my savings so we wiped out our savings then had to have our kids pay our mortgage payments. Since I raced karts at 100 mph I had a disability policy, again it didn't start paying out very quick. So then I went on Medicaid, and for the last 7 years medical co-payments, supplies, deductibles, medicines, etc. has left us with a large amount of debt that cannot get paid off until I die ( likely to be in a couple of years ) when my life insurance policy pays off. When you have life by the balls with your nice house, fancy cars, a garage full of high power rockets, motorcycles, boats, campers, etc....it can change instantly with a car accident, heart attack, stroke, cancer, or other rare disease like what I have.
There are many millions of people who are in far worse shape than me. There's nothing more in the world I would rather see than society come together and implement a global plan to insure that every human being has food, clean water, and shelter. Our failed educational system doesn't teach our kids classes on empathy, compassion, and treating others as if they were our own family embers. If you were sitting at a fast food place and someone magically carried in a starving Ethiopian woman and child, would everyone look at them and say, " sorry, but she should go out and get a job" or would everyone jump up and start ordering food for them? I would hope the latter.
Don't bother quoting and replying to this, as it's just a late night post for me with my insomnia (8 hours sleep the last 4 days). We've already cancelled my shoulder injection to stop the pain from tearing up the rotator cuff from fall #32 as we don't know when our check is coming. We have 5 other doctors visits this month, all with co-pays, so I don't have money to donate. But please think about doing something really great for society with your unneeded check. You'll be glad you did.

When I said I don't need it I meant that I don't have to worry about putting food on the table or loss of income. I'm not satisfied with the amount of savings I have, so that is where any stimulus money will go. I have 2 vehicles that are paid for a 2000 GMC Sonoma and a 2006 Tucson. They are in great shape no rust, run well. They are paid for and I have no credit card debt.

I wish I were in a position to donate lots of money to help those that really need it badly now. I'm sure all of us replying to this thread were in the same position. You are describing (outlined in red) the situation that all of us wish we were in. I never have been anywhere near that nor at 65 years old ever will be.

It is unfair to us to think that the ones of us that said we really don't need it, are heartless or don't care by not donating some or all of our stimulus. Again wish I could.

I do care about all those in their vehicles waiting in line for hours and hours for a food handout even though I've seen $35,000+ pickup trucks other nice new cars in those lines, something I never had nor need.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
For those of you who are interested in charitable contributions, but don't just want to give money to people, you should check out the Grameen Bank. It is a charity, but it uses donated money for micro-loans. They don't just give away money; you have to have a valid business plan for the loan. You have to repay the loan or they take your collateral. They work with people to teach them how to do the things they need to do to set up and run their business. It is charity and capitalism.

Not Quite Nominal

Reaction score
For those of you who are interested in charitable contributions, but don't just want to give money to people, you should check out the Grameen Bank. It is a charity, but it uses donated money for micro-loans. They don't just give away money; you have to have a valid business plan for the loan. You have to repay the loan or they take your collateral. They work with people to teach them how to do the things they need to do to set up and run their business. It is charity and capitalism.
The great thing about microfinance is your dollar gets used over and over again. Most donations to "non-profits" get sucked into the black holes of innumeracy and social signalling (stateside) and corruption and despotism (abroad), and little to nothing actually makes it to poor people in poor countries.

Large donations and infrastructure products are juicy targets for first-world non-profits and third world dictators to fund their lavish lifestyles. Smaller sums can sneak under that radar.

Done right, it's capitalism perfected - combining what I have in surplus (capital), with what they have in surplus (local knowledge).

My beer money can be life changing to the global poor, but it would take me a lifetime to understand how to operate in their world. It's taken me a lifetime to figure out my own life, and my life here is so much easier than theirs.

That being said, there can be problems with microfinance (which givewell discusses better than I can), and some microfinance institutions can be downright shady.

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I changed my mind. If jderimig gets to spend his money on strippers then so am I. I might buy an Estes firestreak sst and some 1/4 mini A motors but the rest of the money is going to strippers.

Now thats some “jumping on the bandwagon”and virtue signaling for ya
As long as they are starving strippers, and as we know and deny...probably mothers.

rcktnut

Reaction score
It is starting to look like baby stimulus is going to be followed by his big brother.

jderimig

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Great! I am glad I saved my receipt for the $600 gun I bought.

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score

yea except they won't get $600 trade in value but far less.

Five

Reaction score
Anyone else still waiting on there paper check. I know this day in age, one might considered to be an outcast or a blacksheep if you don’t have all your income direct deposited.
Call me old school but thats how i roll

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Got mine yesterday. I file electronically but because I haven’t had a refund in a while, it came snail mail.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score

Serious side question out of curiosity. You can return a gun? I guess I always assumed that a gun was like underwear, once used unreturnable.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else still waiting on there paper check. I know this day in age, one might considered to be an outcast or a blacksheep if you don’t have all your income direct deposited.
Call me old school but thats how i roll
I'm still waiting for mine. Checks that are mailed out will take longer than direct deposit.
You can check the status of your baby stimulus payment on the IRS website:
Get My Payment | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)
I read something a few days ago that the IRS sent some checks out to old bank accounts on file with tax preparation software companies. The tracker will show what account your check may have gone to if it was direct deposited.

EDIT: I just checked the status of my second payment. It was scheduled to be mailed out on Jan. 6, so it should be here soon.

Last edited:

NateB

Reaction score
Serious side question out of curiosity. You can return a gun? I guess I always assumed that a gun was like underwear, once used unreturnable.
A return for full face value is unlikely, like a car. However the used and resale market is quite strong. You probably won't ever get full new retail value unless you have a collector piece, but if you buy used and resell you can usually get close to what you paid or even more.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
A return for full face value is unlikely, like a car. However the used and resale market is quite strong. You probably won't ever get full new retail value unless you have a collector piece, but if you buy used and resell you can usually get close to what you paid or even more.

I learned something today, thanks.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got a paper check on either the 6th or 7th. I was in the debit card crowd in the first round and the paper check is properly reduced for my income.
I've made sure to owe the IRS money when I file for a number of years now so that may explain why I didn't get an electronic refund.

jderimig

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Depends on the retailer. Some offer a 30-day return policy for store credit.

Five

Reaction score
Im changing my mind again. Forget the strippers. Im buying a 5.5” loc precision Patriot 54mm. That will be the biggest rocket I’ve ever constructed

Cnorm

Reaction score
Im changing my mind again. Forget the strippers. Im buying a 5.5” loc precision Patriot 54mm. That will be the biggest rocket I’ve ever constructed
Stripper deposits are non-refundable.

Or so I've heard.

Five

Reaction score
Stripper deposits are non-refundable.

Or so I've heard.
Maybe I can persuade her(stripper) into buying the rocket for me. Hahah

And for those who are a fended or who are not of a mature enough age, I apologize but remember during the lockdown exotic dancers lost there job like so many others and they too need this little chunk of change.

Five

Reaction score
I got mine. They sent me a debit card instead of a paper check. Then you get charged every time you take out money from an atm. This money was given to me, then they want charge me to spend it. WTF!

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You understand that it's not the government charging you the ATM fees, right?

FredA

Reaction score
OMG -- "free money" and people still complain.
I had a friend BITCH that it took him 15 minutes on the phone to make a FREE TRANSFER from the card to his bank account.
I had to remind him that he just "earned" nearly $5000/hour pay for that phone call.
A real first-world problem.

jderimig

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I got mine. They sent me a debit card instead of a paper check. Then you get charged every time you take out money from an atm. This money was given to me, then they want charge me to spend it. WTF!
You only get charged if you want a bank to give you cash. Cash management is a high expense for banks, they are not a charity and expect to be compensated for their costs.

If you use the card to purchase goods, like food and medicine, then there is no fee. Actually there is but the merchant pays that to VISA.

Five

Reaction score
No B****ing from i was able to pay some on my credit cards, got some birthday presents from hobby lobbby. Madcow, rocketry works, and loc precision got some business from me. I think i did my share as far as helping out small business owners.
And yes, it chaps my butt every time I pull money out the atm and i see that $3.99 fee. No matter who’s at fault for it.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was expecting a paper check since that was what they mailed to me for the first round but I received the EIP Card today. You can also withdraw cash surcharge free from any in network (AllPoint) ATMs. There is a surcharge only if you use an out of network ATM. ATM locator is on their website.
You can also transfer the balance to your bank account at no cost to you. Check out the FAQs section.
Money Network Economic Impact Card | Money Network Economic Impact Payments (eipcard.com)

Five

Reaction score
I was expecting a paper check since that was what they mailed to me for the first round but I received the EIP Card today. You can also withdraw cash surcharge free from any in network (AllPoint) ATMs. There is a surcharge only if you use an out of network ATM. ATM locator is on their website.
You can also transfer the balance to your bank account at no cost to you. Check out the FAQs section.
Money Network Economic Impact Card | Money Network Economic Impact Payments (eipcard.com)
Thx