B.A.R. Memories & the EAC Viper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"See honey, I'm not crazy!"

Well, not the only one at least. :D

Same story here but I only have 2 of the Estes Saturn V kits. For now.... :eek:

I much prefer obsessed, thank you very much. Crazy is much too vague....
:p

Seriously, if you are interested in a smaller one, I can definitely recommend the Peter Alway kit. It is detailed and very well designed.

You are welcome STRMan. I have such a list of models to clone. Too many ideas and not enough time. Nevertheless, it is all fun...

I see you live in Florida. Where do you fly rockets?

Regards
Mike

Since I became a BAR, I've been spending most of my time building instead of flying. Recently, i did get to launch a few. What I have done so far is to go down to the end of my street. I live in a new sub-development. There are no homes being built yet in phase 3. I have a long street with land on both sides that has all been cleared. I have an area that is at least 1,500 feet long, but it is only about 500 feet from tree line to tree line. As long as the wind is blowing E or W, I'm OK launching with up to B engines.

I plan on trying to get to the launches of the two closest rocketry clubs to where I live in Daytona Beach. One is ROCK in Orlando, about an hour away. The other is NEFAR in Bunnell, about 40 minutes away. Both have much larger launch area's than I have been working with.

ROCK

NEFAR

Mike,

The sentiments you expressed are shared by MANY people here.

I got started in 1962 or 1963, when a friend showed me an Estes catalog. I felt faint-headed. After all, this was at the time of the Mercury program. Many of us built rockets, all the while dreaming of the chance to one day travel in space.

I remember sleepovers at a friend's house, where we would build rockets on a Friday night, play Risk, and watch sci-fi movies. We would fall asleep reading Hardy Boys mysteries. His mother would make us her world famous hotcakes the next morning. How can life be any more idyllic than that?

In 1966, we travelled to Penrose. Met Vern Estes, and lots of nice folks there. The tour included seeing "Mabel" make motors. I still have the copy of the order I placed there. (I'll scan and post some time).

I got into HPR for a number of years, but I lost interest, and dropped out for several years. I have returned to model rockets in the past year, deciding to go back to my roots of building old classics, and scaling them up. I flew some rockets for the first time in a few years just recently. Guess what I did when I picked up my rocket after touchdown? Yep, smelled the motor. I'll never tire of the smell of spent BP motors.

I've engaged in a fair number of hobbies, and nothing has held my interest like model rockets.

Welcome Back!

As a confirmed born-again rocketeer (B.A.R.), I have lusted after the Estes Aerospace Club Viper model rocket.

Recently, I was able to score a vintage Estes Aerospace Club kit from eBay for about $17. I have been watching these items sell for $30 to $48. I have been patient and biding my time reading the eBay saved search results in my email.
Nice score Mike. For inspiration, here's a recent pic of my original, built somewhere in the mid 70s, and never launched until a couple years ago as a BAR. I suspect I was too afraid of losing it, this was one of the better paint jobs I managed as a kid.

Bob, I too had a t-shirt with the iron-ons, I recall being motivated to move up the levels, I think I made it to level 4, building a Nighthawk - and did an awful job of it. Sure wish I still had that shirt :rolleyes:

EacViperLoRes.jpg

Man, I had EAC Rocket too in the late 70's. Seeing these pictures jogged my memory. It really is a cool, simple design.

You mentioned the budget being low. I'm in the same boat w/my biz so I've been having a ton of fun building cardstock models. All you really need is an exacto knife, white glue, cardstock, shock cord and clear coat. Total investment about $15 max for more birds than you can make. The designs are plenty. Not to mention you can change the colors or decals if you're computer savy. I'm currently doing a Blue Bird Zero for my boy and changed the image to do a Black Bird Zero for myself and a Pink Bird Zero for my girl.

I plan on trying to get to the launches of the two closest rocketry clubs to where I live in Daytona Beach. One is ROCK in Orlando, about an hour away. The other is NEFAR in Bunnell, about 40 minutes away. Both have much larger launch area's than I have been working with.

ROCK

NEFAR

While launching on your own is a blast, you will really enjoy the club experience. It is quite a bit of fun to be surrounded by crazy obsessed rocket people!

For inspiration, here's a recent pic of my original, built somewhere in the mid 70s, and never launched until a couple years ago as a BAR. I suspect I was too afraid of losing it, this was one of the better paint jobs I managed as a kid. [Snip]

Hello Paul,

That is one fine looking EAC Viper. Wow, wow, wow...

And you made that model as a 'kid;' great job. It is inspiration for sure!

Regards,
Mike

I've been having a ton of fun building cardstock models. All you really need is an exacto knife, white glue, cardstock, shock cord and clear coat. [Snip]

Hey Hound Dawg,

I agree 100-percent. I am an avid card modeler and found this segment of the hobby upon my return to the hobby in 2004. There seems to be an increase in paper rockets and card model conversions these days and it is becoming more popular.

I had no idea paper rockets existed in the mid-seventies. In 2004, I found the NAR Paper Tiger. Again, with the Internet there is so much more information, plans and models available today.

Paper Tiger by Peter Galindez
First published in May 1975

Source webpage: NARTS - NAR Technical Services

Source website: National Association of Rocketry

As a side note, I updated the NAR Paper Tiger to a BT-50 model and published it in the CMASS club newsletter. It can be optimized for an Estes E9 motor and flies over 2,000 feet. Whoo hoo!

Regards,
Mike

Hey Hound Dawg,

I agree 100-percent. I am an avid card modeler and found this segment of the hobby upon my return to the hobby in 2004. There seems to be an increase in paper rockets and card model conversions these days and it is becoming more popular.
I agree with you guys. Even though my budget isn't tight right now, I get a kick out of making downscales of the old kits or converting scale cardstock models for flight.

I had discovered card modeling before I re-discovered rocketry so it was kind of a natural progression to flying card models.

Since I became a BAR, I've been spending most of my time building instead of flying. Recently, i did get to launch a few. What I have done so far is to go down to the end of my street. I live in a new sub-development. There are no homes being built yet in phase 3. I have a long street with land on both sides that has all been cleared. I have an area that is at least 1,500 feet long, but it is only about 500 feet from tree line to tree line. As long as the wind is blowing E or W, I'm OK launching with up to B engines.

ROCK

NEFAR

I cannot speak about the ROCK site, as I have not been there. But I can say you will enjoy the NEFAR site completely. It is a beautiful field, and the folks there are totally into what we do. I have met some of the friendliest, and craziest, folks there. Lots of fun.

Back