B-21 to be Reveal Dec. 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted a video about it here , but I don't know much about that particular YT channel.

... Now we need a stealthy A-10.
Maybe. Stealth aircrafts are stealthy by combining many different tricks, including high-altitude. So I'm not sure how stealthy an A-10 could be. I remember being quite excited about the stealthy Comanche helicopter but they dropped it.

Maybe. Stealth aircrafts are stealthy by combining many different tricks, including high-altitude. So I'm not sure how stealthy an A-10 could be. I remember being quite excited about the stealthy Comanche helicopter but they dropped it.
We need a close support aircraft that is more high-tech to keep the Air Force interested. I am not sure how the airforce could think the F-35 and F-16 could replace the A-10, but they are doing it. Unfortunately, it will be to the detriment of the ground pounder.

We need a close support aircraft that is more high-tech to keep the Air Force interested. I am not sure how the airforce could think the F-35 and F-16 could replace the A-10, but they are doing it. Unfortunately, it will be to the detriment of the ground pounder.

Here's what I'd go by at this point (CAS = Close Air Support):

"But would an F-35 be survivable enough to withstand incoming small arms fire like an A-10 can? Given its range and the fidelity of its sensors and precision-guided, air-to-ground weapons, the F-35 may never need to be as close to its targets as the A-10. Moreover, the F-35’s sophisticated navigational prowess and impressive speed may mitigate any risk of incoming ground fire. But is the fighter jet’s coating, built with survivable composite materials, able to withstand small arms fire in the event that the aircraft needs to fly close to the ground? These questions have not yet been answered. Until they are, it is unclear whether the F-35 can truly supplant the mighty A-10. However, there is reason to believe that, given the opportunity, the F-35 fighter jet could be a great asset for the U.S. military’s CAS mission."

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/can-f-35-stealth-fighter-replace-10-warthog-201577
To stay on topic, there is also the question of numbers. The B-21 is smaller than the B-2 but is also cheaper. That helps with total number which also matters.

Here's what I'd go by at this point (CAS = Close Air Support):

"But would an F-35 be survivable enough to withstand incoming small arms fire like an A-10 can? Given its range and the fidelity of its sensors and precision-guided, air-to-ground weapons, the F-35 may never need to be as close to its targets as the A-10. Moreover, the F-35’s sophisticated navigational prowess and impressive speed may mitigate any risk of incoming ground fire. But is the fighter jet’s coating, built with survivable composite materials, able to withstand small arms fire in the event that the aircraft needs to fly close to the ground? These questions have not yet been answered. Until they are, it is unclear whether the F-35 can truly supplant the mighty A-10. However, there is reason to believe that, given the opportunity, the F-35 fighter jet could be a great asset for the U.S. military’s CAS mission."

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/can-f-35-stealth-fighter-replace-10-warthog-201577
To stay on topic, there is also the question of numbers. The B-21 is smaller than the B-2 but is also cheaper. That helps with total number which also matters.

We will see. Unfortunately, we will not know until there is another CAS requriement.

On the Raider, I am glad it is cheaper. It is also slated to replace 3 bombers - B2, B1, and B52. I am not sure it will be enough to replace the B52. I think they have decided to keep the B-52 and the B21.

We will see. Unfortunately, we will not know until there is another CAS requriement.

On the Raider, I am glad it is cheaper. It is also slated to replace 3 bombers - B2, B1, and B52. I am not sure it will be enough to replace the B52. I think they have decided to keep the B-52 and the B21.
The B-52 will remain in service for the foreseeable future. There is a major mod planned to replace the engines with four modern high bypass turbofans.

The B-52 will remain in service for the foreseeable future. There is a major mod planned to replace the engines with four modern high bypass turbofans.

Good news. I have read that in articles.

I am excite to hear about the performance / speed of the B-21.

The B-52 will be around for a long time. I won't go into the particulars because there are plenty of well-written articles out there that extol the virtues of the aircraft. The only thing the A-10 has that the other don't is the BAG (Big A$$ Gun). In modern CAS, that is helpful but not the only weapon that can be used in CAS. Afghanistan was a good example of a particular problem the A-10s couldn't deal with as effectively as others and that was "who could get to the TIC first?" That was sorta a result of how the Army and AF see CAS differently. Anyway, the B-21 will have the capability to support CAS effectively. Technology is a game changer even for CAS. I've been able to employ a JDAM 8+miles from the TIC with pinpoint accuracy to "finish the fight" and it was all because of good communications and technology, not being low and slow.

All that being said, the A-10 is an incredible airplane and has it's roll but it's not the only one to do effective CAS. The good AF answer to the question of which is better at CAS is; "it depends.". The B-21 has the potential to be a great aircraft...and it looks cool (;)).

I feel for whoever has to redecorate Whiteman after they retire the B-2. There’s almost literally a B-2 incorporated in some manner on every visible surface of the base. 😅

I selfishly don’t want the A-10 to ever be retired. A-10’s frequently do training flights here at the lake. Brings a huge smile to my face and makes my heart beat faster every time a pair of them do a low fly by.

I selfishly don’t want the A-10 to ever be retired. A-10’s frequently do training flights here at the lake. Brings a huge smile to my face and makes my heart beat faster every time a pair of them do a low fly by.
I agree, but for different reasons. Whether it was the A10, Spector, Apache, or Mini Bird with a Mini Gun, I felt comfort at the sound of those guns bringing the punch to the enemy.

It would be cool to come up with a plausible deniability story and slip a few A10s into Ukraine to see if they could actually survive in a near peer environment. Come on CIA, get creative! :)

A-10s aren’t really that good against air-to air threats, in fact the are sitting ducks against most modern fighters. They are great against small arms and smaller AAA sites though. That’s their environment but even then, if you look at it objectively, they really haven’t been deployed in high threat environments. Not because we wouldn’t (probably) but because we haven’t been in that fight.

So yeah, it would be cool to see how the do against a “near-peer” adversary. At this point, I’m not sure that would be in Ukraine presumably against Russia.

Back