B-21 Bomber Shelter May Reveal Size of Secret Jet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
I'd say there's a pretty good chance of that...

March 3, 2021

https://www.airforcemag.com/b-21-bomber-shelter-may-reveal-size-of-secret-jet/
The Air Force has erected a prototype temporary shelter for the B-21 bomber at Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.; one of a number being evaluated for use at B-21 bases, depots, and potentially at forward deployment sites. An image released with a press release about the shelter, however, may also divulge the dimensions of the aircraft, which have never been revealed.

The image shows the temporary shelter on the tarmac at Ellsworth. Adjacent to the shelter is a vehicle in the class of a Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado, both of which are about 20 feet long. Comparing the truck to the grid of concrete sections on the tarmac, also about 20 feet square, indicates the shelter is about 150 feet long and 80 feet deep. The Air Force indicated in its press release that the shelter is meant to cover the entire airplane.

210226-F-YM413-011.jpg

Comparing_Stealth_Bombers-1024x479.png

I'd say there's a pretty good chance of that...

March 3, 2021

https://www.airforcemag.com/b-21-bomber-shelter-may-reveal-size-of-secret-jet/
The Air Force has erected a prototype temporary shelter for the B-21 bomber at Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.; one of a number being evaluated for use at B-21 bases, depots, and potentially at forward deployment sites. An image released with a press release about the shelter, however, may also divulge the dimensions of the aircraft, which have never been revealed.

The image shows the temporary shelter on the tarmac at Ellsworth. Adjacent to the shelter is a vehicle in the class of a Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado, both of which are about 20 feet long. Comparing the truck to the grid of concrete sections on the tarmac, also about 20 feet square, indicates the shelter is about 150 feet long and 80 feet deep. The Air Force indicated in its press release that the shelter is meant to cover the entire airplane.

210226-F-YM413-011.jpg

Comparing_Stealth_Bombers-1024x479.png
Wow, you can barely see the plane in there! That Stealth stuff works!

Yeah... but you're not sneaking up on *anybody* flying a BUFF.
True that! At least not from modern radars.
I had a conversation with a former B-52 pilot who was in on the early days of flying the BUFF at lower altitude using terrain avoidance/following radar - said it was the most terrifying thing he ever did. IIRC they would get under 500’ AGL with what was, essentially, updated 60s era technology with a very high failure rate (the radar - not the aircraft 😉). I guess at that altitude when the bad guys shoot you down you’re guaranteed to take out something when you hit the ground - even if it’s not the intended target!

Wow, you can barely see the plane in there! That Stealth stuff works!
When I was at Whiteman I had an older couple come up to me at the laundromat. I guess they saw my ABUs and started chatting about the B-2. I almost couldn’t hold it together when the wife exclaimed “Those stealth bombers are amazing! You can hear them but you just can’t see them!”. The husband rolled his eyes pretty hard. I still can’t wrap my head around how she hadn’t seen one flying, but I don’t doubt some people think we have Wonder Woman tech.

Back