Axial/lateral accelerometer question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothyterpsalot

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a featherweight altimeter and I am wondering the purpose of axial and lateral accelerometers. I have never used DD before so I am new to this. I am not sure which to buy, the single axis or the dual axis altimeter. Thanks!

The lateral accelerometer is not needed for the purpose of recovering your rocket or to evaluate the "standard set" of flight parameters (accel, speed, height). In an "ideal" flight, you won't see any lateral acceleration at all.

However, if you like to analyze flight data, it's an nice feature. In special instances it might even help you understand an anomaly.

Reinhard

The lateral accelerometer is not needed for the purpose of recovering your rocket or to evaluate the "standard set" of flight parameters (accel, speed, height). In an "ideal" flight, you won't see any lateral acceleration at all.

However, if you like to analyze flight data, it's an nice feature. In special instances it might even help you understand an anomaly.

Reinhard

Thanks for your interest.

The dual axis accelerometer has a 70G range instead of 250Gs, so it has higher resolution and can be calibrated more accurately. The lateral axis also provides some interesting information. For example, you can see the rocket bouncing on the launch rails or tower, and if it wobbles or weathercocks you can see that in the data, also.

Back