Awesome video -- twin sparky O motor Deuces Wild at MDRA.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a massive operation just to get it ready on the pad and launched. From designing, building, transportation, logistics, assembly, to I can't even imagine what else.

Now that you gave it a maiden flight, I assume you're going to CHAD stage it with an M-O combo, right?

Really awesome flight and epic build!!! Somebody should put a screen shot of it in the LOL thread, because it did make me laugh, clap and yell just like I was there! I'd love to see it in person for sure, but that video makes me want to go to Red Glare next year for sure. Well played, Sir.

Sandy.

As great as this video is (Joe Z's videos always are!), its impossible to capture how mindblowingly awesome this flight was to witness in person! As I said to Tom yesterday, how on earth are you going to top this one? Knowing Tom, I'm sure he'll find a way... This has to be the coolest flight I have ever witnessed!

As great as this video is (Joe Z's videos always are!), its impossible to capture how mindblowingly awesome this flight was to witness in person! As I said to Tom yesterday, how on earth are you going to top this one? Knowing Tom, I'm sure he'll find a way... This has to be the coolest flight I have ever witnessed!
Tom is going to have to join NASA if he wants to keep outdoing himself. :) The Yellow Submarine on a P motor with chute cannons back in 2019 edges this one out just a little, IMO.

• lug-nuts mounted on three stacked 4x4's
  • 2" thick fins bolt-on fins
  • assembling the airframe with a forklift and a dozen adult helpers
  • getting two (2) experimental O-motors to light-up simultaneously
  • ... and she flew straight ! ...
== priceless !

Last edited:
The team for this launch was Bob U., inspiration and design (Bob is mentioned in Modern High Power Rocketry 2, and was the co-author of Rockets Magazine), Scott S., motor design and build (Scott is the Tripoli MD prefect), and Tom C., construction. If you don't know Tom and aren't familiar with his work, search YouTube for videos of his flights on the MDRA channel.

I am amused (and a little perplexed) that the video makes so little attempt to actually keep the rocket in frame during the flight, and cuts off in the middle of the flight. Still, good to see video of the setup. It explains the crazy fin flutter, at least. :)

I was there and got to watch the launch. Most impressive launch in person. I was amazed to see the fins fluttering, and was thinking man hope they don't break off.

My Deployer landed right behind that launch pad after being launched earlier in the rack, and when I walked by the pad on my way to get it right after the Deuces launch, I noted two big craters in the ground on either side of the rail. They were at least a foot deep.

My Deployer landed right behind that launch pad after being launched earlier in the rack, and when I walked by the pad on my way to get it right after the Deuces launch, I noted two big craters in the ground on either side of the rail. They were at least a foot deep.

If you know where to look, there is still a crater from the Yellow Submarine on a 'P' motor from 2 years ago.

If you know where to look, there is still a crater from the Yellow Submarine on a 'P' motor from 2 years ago.
Yeah, they use that to know where to put the away cells when we return to Higgs. :cool: It was everything I could do to keep my son from falling into it after the YS launch.

Back