Awesome Thor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhigh

Reaction score
Well, I finally got my new 4" BSD Thor kit built but unfortunately as of yet unpainted. I took it up to the Three oaks launch today and put it up twice on Hypertek. All I can say is WOW !

It took off straight as a arrow and what a whistle it made. It was really cool. As the rocket slowed toward apogee you could hear a loud whistle coming to a slower and slower whistle till apogee. The dual deployment went off both flights without a hitch. Overall I give this kit a HUGE thumbs up ! With fiberglass, chutes, altimeter bay and nitrous tank it weighed 9 lbs. and on a K240 it reached a altitude of 3,938 ft.

Nice choice.

I too have a Thor - my fav rocket. It's flown seven times to date, with only one minor mishap. early in it's life.

A totally versatile rocket - did my L1 and L2 on it. A fantastic airframe and a good looking one too.

Going to send it up on the Hypertek next weekend: twice.

Here's a photo:

https://www.rokits.org/gallery/BB-03/Prep_for_Launch

Here's a vid of it going up on an Hypertek K-240.

just click the link albeit it's a 20mb download!

https://www.rokits.org/gallery/klob2003?page=7

BTW my Thor doesn't whistle! Perhaps it's because I aerofoiled the fins? Dunno.

Damian

great pics 666 the thor is a nice rocket.

Whose rocket got torched?

Brian Best's Pro54 Cato - we had to rescue it, in flames, from the back garden of a disgruntled local :eek:(

Shame about the loss. You made what looked to be a nicely finished rocket there!

For the sadists amongst you...

here is a link to the 3rd flight of my Thor.

For various reasons the flight computer I used decided to deploy the main chute at 0.5 seconds into flight!

OUCH.

IT IS A FANTASTICS SPAC VIDEO!

It managed to fly whilst trailing the nosecone and it also developed a novel method of creating a spillhole in the main 'chute!

https://www.rokits.org/gallery/random

Follow the link and go to the bottom link on the page!

Amazingly the booster section survived and I replaced the two body tube sections . The Thor has flown since then. One good reason NOT to fibreglass IMHO. It's strong - yes. But no crumple zone!

Damian

Well, I finally got the Thor painted and partially decaled. Should be sometime tomorrow I'll post a pic of her.

Next week I'll be going to Jackson, MI and letting her burn some more nitrous ! Probably another K-240. I'm gonna have pics of the flight as well as a video on hand.

One of the guys up there is going to attempt a H thru M consecutive nitrous flights. Man, can't wait to see the M flight !! :D

Well, the Thor is all done and ready for action. Attached is a photo of her.

Originally posted by Damian
For various reasons the flight computer I used decided to deploy the main chute at 0.5 seconds into flight!

What reason would that be Damian..?

I have a 3", 4 fin, 54mmt Thor winging its way to me as we speak!

Unusually for me I have decided to use all the decals (it is one of the things that really makes the Thor) but have decided to go for British Racing Green and Yellow rather than the default black.

I have already had a local signwriter make up some vinyl letters spelling out MAGNI - it seemed apt :)

Originally posted by SkyHigh
Well, the Thor is all done and ready for action. Attached is a photo of her.

Almost too nice to fly. Almost :)

Sky...

BIG congrats on the flight man...the pic was awesome! I believe that bird now deserves a great coat of paint; just make sure you post pics! ;)

Carl

Finally got the Thor out to the launch in full colors flying on a Hybrid K240 and man what a flight ! I would like to take this time to thank Scott Miller of SFSM Industries for all his help and support on this wonderful flight ! Thanks Scott !!!

Attached is a photo of the Thor awaiting launch on the Hyper Pad.

This next photo is of the Thor on the K240 during Liftoff !! It was a wonderful day for flying and lots of good people at the Jackson, MI club to fly with. Thanx everyone also on this forum for support and answers to this never ending learning and education to this awesome sport ! Let's keep it going !

Originally posted by SkyHigh
This next photo is of the Thor on the K240 during Liftoff !!

How High did you get on your K240 as a matter of interest.

Damian

The Thor weighed in at 9.8 pounds fully loaded with altimeter bay, both chutes and fiberglass and flew to a altitude of 3,839 ft.

Very similar, in all respects to my Thor on a Hypertek K240.

You've finished your Thor off well too. I can see from the photo's.

D

Back