Avro Vulcan Mini R/C rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You Very Much Frank for taking on this Special Project for me😃👍 and for your time that you took to do it. The flights of the Prototype look like it flys just like the larger one. I’m looking forward to flying mine. Many Thanks again Frank😃👍

I'm going to try some Quest 40mm tubing and nose cone which are very close and that I can get at a good price in quantity, if that works I'll kit it. It would also allow me to kit the mini 2.25x Orbital Transport Shuttle again.

That is a great idea! Adding to my buy list

Last edited:
I saw that in the instructions. That’s the next thing I want to get is a 3D printer nose cones and pilots and anything else I could think of for the hobby😜😃👍

My quest tubes and cones are out for delivery today so I should be able to verify that the weights and quality look good enough to do the Vulcan with that, I'll also be able to offer the 2.25x orbital transport shuttle glider in the smaller size for 18 mm as well

I also noticed that the mini Vulcan is now showing up on the web site as coming soon....:)

Quest tubes/cones came in and they were only 4 grams heavier than the BMS/Estes parts, so they will work, site has the kits live now. I split and re-glued a full length BT-60 coupler tube to make a backing tube for when I cut the wing and tail slots. BTW the 40mm tube fits perfectly inside BT-60 BMS tubing for a lighter weight coupler or whatever you wanted to do with it. The cone is close to bertha with a slightly more sharper angle that starts further out from the shoulder but is close enough.

I also noticed that the mini Vulcan is now showing up on the web site as coming soon....:)

Mine arrived yesterday, but am out of town this weekend. Hope to get the Mini together next week.

Thinking about going with a fantasy “could have been” paint scheme. RAF aircraft under test at RAE Farnborough often sported a red, while and blue scheme sometimes referred to as “raspberry ripple”. This scheme was not in use in the Vulcan’s heyday, but might be fun to paint and mark one like that, anyway.

Will look somewhat like this BAE Hawk, with adaptations as needed to fit the shape of the Vulcan.

Attachments

• 6AF2FDB4-0A89-4F69-9142-711C282455E1.jpeg
    6AF2FDB4-0A89-4F69-9142-711C282455E1.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That could work..
britflyer_190213_5c63635781c0c-1600x1200.jpg
Mine arrived yesterday, but am out of town this weekend. Hope to get the Mini together next week.

Thinking about going with a fantasy “could have been” paint scheme. RAF aircraft under test at RAE Farnborough often sported a red, while and blue scheme sometimes referred to as “raspberry ripple”. This scheme was not in use in the Vulcan’s heyday, but might be fun to paint and mark one like that, anyway.

I couldn’t get the accurate colors this time so got close I’m going to fly mine on Friday or Saturday this week 😃 I’ll let you know how she flys. We know it will fly Awesome!!! Frank design it😃👍

I finished up my mini Avro Vulcan last night. About to head to Little Rock for Fall SMALL, the rocket friendly fly in for small model aircraft.

I think this fake “Raspberry Ripple”’scheme, actually used on a number of aircraft operated by the Royal Aircraft Establishment is a fun theme that is also easy to see. While there was never a real Vulcan in this scheme, it is a firm “might have been”! It gives a nice contrast between upper and lower surfaces.

Just about finished. Need to add the RX and the railbuttons plus do a little touch up.

I have also rigged up a lightweight but powerful 12mm brushless inrunner on an extended motor mount that plugs into the rocket motor mount so I can also fly it with electric power at SMALL. This motor and ESC will be swappable so I can also us it on the Avro Arrowhead.

Hope to fly both the mini Vulcan and the Avro Arrowhead this week at SMALL, with electric and with rocket power.

Attachments

• 10F5924D-F57B-4802-85C6-645084F6BF9F.jpeg
    10F5924D-F57B-4802-85C6-645084F6BF9F.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 319A6F0E-B6ED-40BB-A190-6F61CB8B23E2.jpeg
    319A6F0E-B6ED-40BB-A190-6F61CB8B23E2.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 15
  • C0C1917D-9575-4BC6-8283-FFB454983AA9.jpeg
    C0C1917D-9575-4BC6-8283-FFB454983AA9.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
That looks really good Tom maybe you can share your motor and ESC set up you're using and I can share that with the community for others that might want to try that in the smaller models.

Any progress on the galactic derelict? of the three I sent out a month and a half ago nobody's flown one yet.

I took a few liberties with my interpretation of the RaspberryRipe scheme. Allowed, since it is fictional….:)

Last edited:
That looks really good Tom maybe you can share your motor and ESC set up you're using and I can share that with the community for others that might want to try that in the smaller models.

Any progress on the galactic derelict? of the three I sent out a month and a half ago nobody's flown one yet.

Will post the power system soon. The one I am trying first is an old but great Medusa 12mm inrunner with a small high speed prop, but the motor is long out of production. I am also taking along another power system that uses a small drone outrunner that is currently popular on some small electric aircraft and should slso work well.

I have the Galactic Detelict built, but have been stuck on the paint scheme. Have not been able to decide on an airbrushed alien scheme, or a USAF flight test scheme in red and white with stars and bars…:) It is next up!

Last edited:
Ooh, how about a Captain America shield pattern 😁

Will post the power system soon. The one I am trying first is an old but great Medusa 12mm inrunner with a small high speed prop that is out of production. I am also taking along another power system that uses a small drone outrunner that is popular on some small electric aircraft and should slso work well.

I have the Galactic Detelict built, but have been stuck on the paint scheme. Have not been able to decide on an airbrushed alien scheme, or a USAF flight test scheme in red and white with stars and bars…:) It is next up!

Ooh, how about a Captain America shield pattern 😁
Hmmmmm. I actually like that quite a bit. A pain to wrap the pattern over the body tube. The distortion of the pattern might not look great.

Could add some tasteful Stark Industries markings to the fuse.

<light bulb moment>

However, you just might have to do the Shield on a high wing version of the Galatic Derelict so the Shield shows perfectly from above. Might be a fun option to offer on the stock GD. Could build either from the same kit easily……

Heck, I would do that now if mine were not already assembled.

I can't fold the wing in the middle to fit into the box if I mount it on the top because you're gluing a glue joint to cardboard that really needs the tape reinforcement, so in that case you'll be gluing the tape which isn't sturdy at all. I'd have to break the wing a little bit forward of where The spar sits crosswise, it's doable but it's not exactly the same kit prep.

Probably a moot point because I haven't sold any of the galactic derelicts yet anyway.

Hmmmmm. I actually like that quite a bit. A pain to wrap the pattern over the body tube. The distortion of the pattern might not look great.

Could add some tasteful Stark Industries markings to the fuse.

<light bulb moment>

However, you just might have to do the Shield on a high wing version of the Galatic Derelict so the Shield shows perfectly from above. Might be a fun option to offer on the stock GD. Could build either from the same kit easily……

Heck, I would do that now if mine were not already assembled.

I can't fold the wing in the middle to fit into the box if I mount it on the top because you're gluing a glue joint to cardboard that really needs the tape reinforcement, so in that case you'll be gluing the tape which isn't sturdy at all. I'd have to break the wing a little bit forward of where The spar sits crosswise, it's doable but it's not exactly the same kit prep.

Probably a moot point because I haven't sold any of the galactic derelicts yet anyway.

Good point on the fold. Still might be a fun project, if not a product.

I finished up my mini Avro Vulcan last night. About to head to Little Rock for Fall SMALL, the rocket friendly fly in for small model aircraft.

I think this fake “Raspberry Ripple”’scheme, actually used on a number of aircraft operated by the Royal Aircraft Establishment is a fun theme that is also easy to see. While there was never a real Vulcan in this scheme, it is a firm “might have been”! It gives a nice contrast between upper and lower surfaces.

Just about finished. Need to add the RX and the railbuttons plus do a little touch up.

I have also rigged up a lightweight but powerful 12mm brushless inrunner on an extended motor mount that plugs into the rocket motor mount so I can also fly it with electric power at SMALL. This motor and ESC will be swappable so I can also us it on the Avro Arrowhead.

Hope to fly both the mini Vulcan and the Avro Arrowhead this week at SMALL, with electric and with rocket power.
Really spectacular!

Here are four pics from Sunday of the Raspberry Ripple mini Vulcan flight.

Attachments

• 9FB6393D-CD2A-455B-A8BE-0D6D177AF0C0.jpeg
    9FB6393D-CD2A-455B-A8BE-0D6D177AF0C0.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 13
  • A4752EBC-1C72-451F-B4C2-67FD3FFDC694.jpeg
    A4752EBC-1C72-451F-B4C2-67FD3FFDC694.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 15
  • E5A9E100-8770-45DF-A48C-6ADFA633941B.jpeg
    E5A9E100-8770-45DF-A48C-6ADFA633941B.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 140DD10A-B18F-419F-9A11-3AC8F8287821.jpeg
    140DD10A-B18F-419F-9A11-3AC8F8287821.jpeg