Avro Arrowhead: A “what if” model

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently decided to take a little trip into an alternate history with a ”what if” model.

After the cancellation of the Avro Arrow fighter project, a small Avro Canada design team was kept on, to see about leveraging some of the advanced technology from the Arrow project for other uses.

One of the concepts generated was a simple and robust space plane that they decided to call the Avro Arrowhead, due to some family resemblance to the Avro Arrow. The Arrowhead was Canada’s first small step into manned space, much like the American X-15 was America’s first step.

OK, that’s enough back story. I recently ended up getting a Dynasoar Rocketry Valkyrie kit from Frank. Started assembling it one night and had an inspiration show up from somewhere. I thought it could make an interesting small space plane concept model with the addition on a small canopy fairing added to the juncture of the wing and upper forward fuselage. Started carving a foam canopy and it seemed to want to be the shape of an Avro Arrow canopy. I decided to to not argue with it and embrace it. I really liked how one small and simple part transformed the look of the model. This model is a box stock Valkyrie, except for the addition of that one canopy part. Pic of stock Dynasoar Rocketry Valkyrie also attached.

Since it seemed to want to look like something from Avro Canada, I ran up some custom vinyl Canadian markings, painted the nose cone red and black and this was the result.

I think this example shows how any number of Frank’s superb RC RG kits are in effect, a blank canvas that can be modified and changed and restyled, with zero change to the aerodynamics, to give the owner something unique.

Let’s get creative out there!

Attachments

• 45EE865B-E092-4CCC-9AFB-03358BCE9FE5.jpeg
    45EE865B-E092-4CCC-9AFB-03358BCE9FE5.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 67934EF1-248E-46E4-A199-A9B10E8200F0.jpeg
    67934EF1-248E-46E4-A199-A9B10E8200F0.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 16FD4338-246D-456B-901B-5D82C78233AA.jpeg
    16FD4338-246D-456B-901B-5D82C78233AA.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Out freaking standing! Just lovely.

By the way what paint did you use on that nose cone I've had success using single colors but masking always wants to pull the paint off.

Frank

Out freaking standing! Just lovely.

By the way what paint did you use on that nose cone I've had success using single colors but masking always wants to pull the paint off.

Frank

Thanks! I was hoping you would like it! Was also hoping it would live up to my build up to the reveal.....:)

I had pretty good luck with paint on that nose cone, despite it being that slightly rubbery mind of plastic. Paint is some Krylon Shortcuts I had, pepper red and flat black. I cleaned it with 91% isoprop!y, sanded it with 600 grit paper until the gloss was 100% gone and cleaned with iso again. I bravely skipped primer (probably a long term mistake). A light coat of white, the a couple of coats of red, drying overnight and a couple of light coats of black today. Masking came away fairly well (I de-tacked the tape to help avoid paint pulling away). but it did remove a couple of very tiny spots of red. Fixed with a brush. After it cures long term, a good whack will likely cause some paint to flake away.

If I wanted to do a really good job, I think I would get a can of automotive adhesion promoter or the special primer they have for plastic car bumpers, as folks on here do for blow molded nose cones.

But, good enough for now.

Will fly it at Fall SMALL in Little Rock in mid Oct, which is my next opportunity to launch, looks like. Will get pics.

I love that when people take something I've done and make it even better! I'd make one if I didn't have three Avro Arrows already!

I love that when people take something I've done and make it even better! I'd make one if I didn't have three Avro Arrows already!
and

I have far too many projects, but now I want an Arrowhead Mk II, in 2.6" tubing, with a different vertical tail arrangement, perhaps tip fins, or a sort of Avro Arrow vertical tail on the centerline, with smaller tip fins like the delta wing X-15, or?

So many model ideas, so little space and time.......

Dang it Tom that idea was just too cool and I found an old used nose cone that was already painted black and a piece of spare tubing today. I decided to take the original Valkyrie wing and cut the forward leading edge crank notches and trimmed the wingtips more like the original avro arrow and cut a single tail and used the same type of cockpit as you did. Followed the rl205 color scheme. Now I've got three sizes of arrows, an 18 mm, a 24 mm and a 29 mm powered versionsIMG_20210911_202839562.jpgIMG_20210911_202847858.jpgIMG_20210911_202817505.jpg

I recently decided to take a little trip into an alternate history with a ”what if” model.

After the cancellation of the Avro Arrow fighter project, a small Avro Canada design team was kept on, to see about leveraging some of the advanced technology from the Arrow project for other uses.

One of the concepts generated was a simple and robust space plane that they decided to call the Avro Arrowhead, due to some family resemblance to the Avro Arrow. The Arrowhead was Canada’s first small step into manned space, much like the American X-15 was America’s first step.

OK, that’s enough back story. I recently ended up getting a Dynasoar Rocketry Valkyrie kit from Frank. Started assembling it one night and had an inspiration show up from somewhere. I thought it could make an interesting small space plane concept model with the addition on a small canopy fairing added to the juncture of the wing and upper forward fuselage. Started carving a foam canopy and it seemed to want to be the shape of an Avro Arrow canopy. I decided to to not argue with it and embrace it. I really liked how one small and simple part transformed the look of the model. This model is a box stock Valkyrie, except for the addition of that one canopy part. Pic of stock Dynasoar Rocketry Valkyrie also attached.

Since it seemed to want to look like something from Avro Canada, I ran up some custom vinyl Canadian markings, painted the nose cone red and black and this was the result.

I think this example shows how any number of Frank’s superb RC RG kits are in effect, a blank canvas that can be modified and changed and restyled, with zero change to the aerodynamics, to give the owner something unique.

Let’s get creative out there!
Really like your modifications. Great paint & decals too.

I put the first flight on the Avro Arrowhead today.......but it was as an electric pusher.

I used what I had on hand from another small electric model. Unfortunately, the motor is not commonly available these days.

12mm x 30mm brushless inrunner motor, 5400Kv. (Weight is only 15 grams)
3x3 push on prop
10 amp ESC
2 cell 260 lipo.

Prop spins about 35,000 RPM. There is a lot of fuselage next to the 3” prop, but it works well.

Was able to arrange the components internally with the battery just ahead of the CG and the ESC in front of the battery and the RX just behind the nose cone. Balanced without any needed ballast.

I took some scrap 3/8" balsa and fashioned a curved spacer that filled in the 6mm difference from the 12mm inrunner to the 18mm motor tube. The motor touched one side of the rocket motor tube and the balsa spacer touched the other. For this experiment, I taped the motor to the balsa spacer and friction fitted it in the the rocket motor mount.

I am researching some alternative and available light weight power systems that can spin a 3x3 prop at somewhere around 33-35k RPM. Might have to go to a small three cell lipo and gain a few grams of weight. Might end up being a micro quadcopter outrunner with a bolt on 3" prop.

Bigger props or higher pitch props would increase the torque reaction effects.
This setup or something similar ought to work well on any of Frank's 18mm RC RG .odels.

Flies nicely! With the short wingspan and some torque and/or P factor from the high rpm prop, it took a fair amount of aileron trim to fly straight and level. Fairly sensitive in roll, still need to rate it down a little more. Great fun!

Photos of the set up tomorrow. Hope to have someone grab a quick video of a flyby or two.

Attachments

• 6115A1E2-009F-4ECB-8F14-CDF60BF23977.jpeg
    6115A1E2-009F-4ECB-8F14-CDF60BF23977.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 91F808DB-5A0E-46A5-9EBB-A382A0C9DF99.jpeg
    91F808DB-5A0E-46A5-9EBB-A382A0C9DF99.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 03158D34-5F5E-464E-ADB1-DC3E240AFDAB.jpeg
    03158D34-5F5E-464E-ADB1-DC3E240AFDAB.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Put another flight on the Arrowhead today as an electric. Not quite as good as the first, as the motor and prop has been pushed forward very close to the rear of the model. This blocked more airflow to the prop and it was down on power. Easy enough to fix.

Ran out of time today to get a rocket flight on the Arrowhead, but did get very nice flights on both the large and mini Avro Vulcans today.

Back