Avionics Bay Again

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thzero

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So after building an modular avbay for my 3.0" rocket, didn't really like my wiring job and feel it was messy. After having poked around a bit, and saw some more compact designs, etc. wanted to try my hand at something new.

PXL_20211108_213233120.jpg

Worked great in my flight thus far, even if I only ran a single altimeter.

Instead of stacking vertically, the Eggtimer Quantum basically will fit horizontally within the confines of a 3" coupler as long as the LOC stiffy isn't being used. And getting rid of wires, or at least better managing them.

So something like this instead

1641868134517.png
Probably a bit more tightly packed.

So started doing some of the designs in KiCad for the schematics. Thats when I was looking at one of OnTop's threads for Vertical Trajectory System and I began to wonder, why not convert the mass of wires into PCB boards? Thus I've converted some of my schema designs and started tweaking them to make essentially three sets of boards

• Board for two SS-5GL snap switches to be used with a pull pin
  • Board for altimeters (both the Eggtimer Quantum and the Featherweight Raven)
  • Board for plugging in the ejection canisters

SS-5GL board for the primary altimeter.

1641869070816.png

And the PCB board. JPR1 will cables that accepts input from the the primary altimeter board, whereas JPR2 provides output back to the primary altimeter board. The pins will have 2.54mm terminal blocks soldered in. JFLG1 provides the primary drogue output to the secondary board. JPWR1 is a white JST PH plug soldered in that allows a switch to be plugged in.

1641869088501.png

The 5SS-5GLs will be bolted to the PCB board, and then there is 3d printed block that acts as the pull pin guide.

1641870591805.png

And the secondary flag board is pretty much the same.

1641870738271.png

PCB has the terminal blocks in slightly different positions to match up with the a common altimeter board.

1641870624251.png

Then the altimeter board schema.

1641870649726.png

And the PCB board for the altimeter. This can be used for either the primary or secondary altimeter. JM1 and JD1 are white JST PH plugs to connect the main and drogue from the Quantum board. JPWR1 is a white JST PH plug for the 3S battery; I have been using Venom Fly 30C 2S 300mAh 7.4V LiPo that has both red JST RCY plugs and the white JST PH plugs. JWPR2 is also a JST PH plug that allows for plugging in the Quantum's power source.

1641870673091.png

And the ejection canister distribution board.

1641870689532.png

And the PCB for it.

1641870704113.png

For the wiring looms between levels of the boards, I'm thinking just 2.54 90 degree elbow pins (such as PH1RB-10-UA), with 22 guage wire soldered to the pins and then a heat shrink over the wires just to keep it tidy.

Anyways that's pretty much it. I'm sure I've done a bunch of things wrong or incorrect since this is all built just playing around with KiCad all with the idea of removing the wiring mess and replacing it with PCB boards traces.

Back