Average Joes FIRST Robotics team #3620

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
I've been coach/mentor on several different BEST robotics teams. It was a lot of fun.

I help with Team 2832 in Livonia. If our teams both make it to states in Saginaw, I'll have to head to your pits to say "hi". I do remember your team from previous state competitions, of course due to the Dodgeball reference.

Good luck with your season!

I help with Team 2832 in Livonia. If our teams both make it to states in Saginaw, I'll have to head to your pits to say "hi". I do remember your team from previous state competitions, of course due to the Dodgeball reference.

Good luck with your season!

I will likely not be going to states with the team but feel to stop by the pits anyways!

So students really like going to state and regional competitions. In contrast to the NAR contest format.

I was part of a group of Boeing engineers that worked with a high school in Renton, Washington back when this competition was new (there were something like 40 teams across the country, and the one and only competition was in a high school gym in New Hampshire). It is amazing what it has become in the ensuing 30 years. My experience was in 1993!

1678500833109.png

Our bot is the one in the middle with the red bumpers. Not only are my wife and daughter managing and coaching the team they're running this event. Wife is the event coordinator and daughter is volunteer coordinator.

This is not what we expected this weekend. We were in an alliance of 2 very fast moving bots that I really know little about. The alliance we beat had Stryke Force who have won worlds twice and are perennial threat to win every event they're in. zooBotix (6002) is a newer team and is VERY good. Their bot is so good this early in the season they're definitely going to be in the hunt for a world championship. I don't know anything about their 3rd team. So for us to come into the finals in the #4 alliance and beat them 2-1 in the finals was truly astounding. Probably the most impressive win in the history of our program. Flurb and Gray Matter were just awesome alliance partners.

Back