AV BAY ON LOC T-LOC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
I am fiddling around with the altimeter mount on my LOC T-LOC and it looks like the mount is designed to be permanently epoxied inbetween the fins.

Has anybody an alternative to this setup?

I am considering cutting two holes in the mounting board and a hole in the fin tang of each fin, then using a long zip tie running through each hole, to hold the mounting board in place. Since the mounting board does rest against the fin on either side and on the motor tube (there’s two curved pieces epoxied onto the back of the altimeter mounting board for this purpose), I am thinking a zip tie just might do the job.

My reason for wanting to have a removable mount, is that If I ever removed the altimeter to use in another rocket, it would create problems if I were to try remounting the altimeter in the rocket ( if epoxied in place, the mounting nuts on the back would be inaccessible).

How about T nuts in the back side of the board, so if you want to remove the Alt, it just unscrews?

I’m slow sometimes, of course the altimeter is secured to the board using the t-nuts. The board itself has to be permanently secured between the fins. There is a hatch through the body tube to access everything once the rocket is assembled and that hatch isn’t large enough to remove the board, but IS large enough to remove the altimeter, or change out the battery. Doh!

Thanks Adrian, a simple and elegant solution that I failed to see. I’ve always been hesitant to place an altimeter between the fins because I am too clumsy to cut and fabricate a hatch through the body tube. LOC has done that for me with the T-LOC.

Last edited:
And if you get the wrong (right?) T nuts that are thicker than the plywood, they’d act as standoffs also… I’d guess 1/8” taller would be sufficient.

And if you get the wrong (right?) T nuts that are thicker than the plywood, they’d act as standoffs also… I’d guess 1/8” taller would be sufficient.

Yes, great advice! I ordered small blind nuts (4-40) and also 4-40 nylon machine screws and nuts. I figured a couple of nylon nuts on the backside of the altimeter would act as both standoffs and insulators between the metal blind nut and the altimeter.

I am at this stage in my build. I was going to epoxy the mounting board and use eye bolts for the electronics components. This will be my first dual deployment so I’m still learning and researching this part.

I am at this stage in my build. I was going to epoxy the mounting board and use eye bolts for the electronics components. This will be my first dual deployment so I’m still learning and researching this part.
Oh and the eye bolts were so I can just clip the electronics in and out using a D ring.

Has anybody an alternative to this setup?

I've built several Rockets where I mount the sled to the inside of the hatch door which makes them very easy to swap out.
20210731_094021.jpg
20210731_093923.jpg

My battery is on a peice of c channel then the c channel just gets screwed to the board

How would that work? Your electronics should be mounted solidly in your rocket.
Oh and it would work because I’ve done it before. The part I’m researching is dual deploy. I haven’t done that part before but the person that started this post was talking about altimeters which work well with D rings.

drilled and tapped then thin CA to harden the threads. Post mounts screwed in afterwards that remain. Button head screws to hold the altimeter to the posts. Battery is velcro strapped with servo screws. Nice and clean.

7E0C1BF2-2802-4C98-A98A-5DB91D8F1669.jpeg

339A66FD-F2A9-41E5-B436-C953F1E1743C.jpeg

Oh and it would work because I’ve done it before. The part I’m researching is dual deploy. I haven’t done that part before but the person that started this post was talking about altimeters which work well with D rings.
I believe you, just having a hard time envisioning it in my head.

Back