Av-Bay newbie... safe arming, wire passthrough

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayco,
I was about to start a thread on options and techniques for mounting shock tubes to motor mounts...luckily I saw your post here. Can you tell me what the best options are in your opinion please ?! Thank you !!

I use the "Wildman" method that CJ shows on his 3" DS build:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...x-quot-build-starts-now!!&p=444625#post444625

It completely encapsulates the kevlar "Y" harness in epoxy, giving you a double anchor point behind your upper CR. I had a couple of separations at the fincan early in my HPR career, but none since I built my Blackstar using CJ's build thread.

016.jpg

Here is how I prep the attachment point, then I lay the kevlar into that and smear some more on top. Turn it over and do the other end the same way.
If you're interested in one of my better build threads, here is a link to my "Blackstar" build:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?54831-Wayco-s-3-quot-BlackStar
There is also some good stuff on building Avbays with Featherweight magnetic switches. Since that build, I have used magnetic switches in five other rockets, all with good results. I quit using solderless terminals, now I solder directly into the board.
OK, I'm done hijacking this thread, back to your regularly scheduled posts....

Last edited:
Don't tie loops for mounting your kevlar to the bulkhead. Your holes will act as sand paper and eventually you'll cut the kevlar. U bolts and eye bolts are used on the ebay bulkheads because they just work.

As far as glueing the shock cord to the motor tube, make a dam on the motor tube using tape, tack the kevlar with superglue after you get the CR's on. Double check that you aren't going to impinge on where the fins go. Get some epoxy down, wait until it's green, remove the tape, nice straight epoxy lines. I do it all over again to make sure the kevlar is totally encapsulated.

Back