AV Bay Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
1 April, we will start an AV bay Build contest. It much be a new build from scratch. No commercial kits. It does not have to fly.

Anyone interest?

Sounds great.

What are the criteria? Standardized size for the competition? What functions and features need to be included?

Chuck has final say, but here is what I think.

Any Size Rocket. Must be flown at least once (successfully), must be started after the start of the competition. The best avionics bay will be based off of ingenuity, cleanliness, ease of use [like accessibility of arming switches, ease of setup, etc...] and overall appearance. It must contain 1 altimeter of any brand. It must be able to be armed and disarmed while the rocket is on the pad. No standard for location (so you can base it in the standard coupler, in the nose cone, or in a hatch in the fin can. \

Who likes this?

I have no issue with that. I would say it can be ground tested or flown.

Sounds good. Me likey. I do have an idea for an avionics bay that I have been thinking about for a while now...

:p

I was just goofing around. To see what you'd say. :) Wouldn't be right for vendors to compete in this

OOOHH!! Eric, how about giving one of your avionics bays to the winner of the contest?
:p

I guess we could make a rule for no machining but I am not sure that is fair.

Chuck

Are you saying that I am not allowed to machine something myself?

hmmmm... I have a rocket that has the coupler and bulkheads, but no sled or electronics. Is that an acceptable starting place?

As long as it is not currently a commercial product, I am ok with it. If Eric wants to joing to develop a new product, I am ok with that too.

1. Must have a build thread.
2. No commercial AV bay products as the starting block. For example: K&S, Blue Tube, LOC, Baddazzrocketry ....... AV Bays that you just have to assemble. Please continue to buy the products, but for this build, you have to scratch build. If you want to pay a machinist to make your AV bay, consider Eric please.
3. Must atleast ground test. Bonus points for clean, unique design.

Prize? I will come up with one.

Are you including nose cone av-bays like BB mentioned in post #5?

Nose cone AV Bays and Chute Cannons are a more unique form of an AV Bay and are encouraged.

1 April, we will start an AV bay Build contest. It much be a new build from scratch. No commercial kits. It does not have to fly.

Anyone interest?
I don't know, it sounds like an April fools joke from the date the contest will be open :grin:
If not good luck

I think I will do this contest since I haven't started the rocket or Av Bay yet.I can wait at least a couple of more days.

Can't wait, contest starts tomorrow.

Sent from a odd interactive handheld doohickey... ;)

Back