AV Bay built into LOC 4"-3" transition?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone built a AV bay into a LOC transition. Either the 4"-3" or the 3"-2.6". I would like to see any photos to get my mind going... I know it has concentric groves, as cutout guides for various sizes of MMT/Body tubes. I would think it should be straight forward to make it into an AV bay. BUT I don't remember ever seeing it done, and can't find any here in searches of the Forums ...
4in-3in_Transition.jpg

They just released the 4" cyclotron, and I want to make it dual deploy with the AV bay in the 4"-3" transition. https://locprecision.com/collections/rockets-4-00-diameter/products/4-cyclotron

I haven't but have considered it a few times. I'd cut the ends off and replace them with plywood bulkheads. I would double the plywood up into 2 layers and secure them with screws through the plastic shoulders. You could then use the central hole in the bulkheads with some threaded rod to mount the sled and a u-bolt to provide recovery attachment points. I'd also drill some smaller holes through the BT and plastic shoulders for 2-56 or M2 nylon screws for shear pins. Shear pin holes would be closer to the transition and not into the plywood bulkheads.

I did one and it works fine. I will need to get some pictures together when I get home (on travel right now). I did a stepped transition on the bottom which I had to fuss around with due to the irregular inside surface of the transition. I also put a wooded bulkhead on top for additional support for the plastic.

Back