Quantcast

Auto reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

mjennings

Reaction score
Is there a function on the forum that marks all threads as read, if there is no activity on the thread, after a certain time period? If so what is the time period?

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Is there a function on the forum that marks all threads as read, if there is no activity on the thread, after a certain time period? If so what is the time period?
Not that I'm aware of.

I have certain threads that linger out there, unread by me, for a month or more. I have to manually flag them as read via the "Mark Forum As Read" menu option.

-Kevin

luke strawwalker

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of.

I have certain threads that linger out there, unread by me, for a month or more. I have to manually flag them as read via the "Mark Forum As Read" menu option.

-Kevin

Where is that menu option Kevin??

99% of the time, I just hit "New Posts" at the top of the page and scroll through the list looking at titles of interest to read... I really hate it when I get to page three and halfway down it says, "the following threads have no new posts but still contain unread replies" and then continues to have another 8 pages listed like that after it...

The only time that REMOTELY comes in handy is when my computer decides to take a dump and crash, and I have to reboot, usually after I've brought up a half-dozen or so "new posts" in seperate browser tabs to read and I'm on like the second or third one. When the computer comes back up and I restart the browser, usually I have to look in the "no new posts but unread replies" section to find what was tabbed during the crash (but that doesn't ALWAYS work-- happened last week and I looked high and low for a thread I'd been following being replied to often and it wasn't ANYWHERE on the list, and I had to go sift through the individual forums to find it, since I couldn't remember what section it was in... )

It'd be nice to mark all the extras as "marked as read" once in awhile just to thin the herd on the 'still contains unread posts' once in awhile-- after all, if I didn't read it the first time, I'm not too worried that somebody else replied to stuff like "word association for all TRF'ers" a month ago... :D

Later! OL JR :)

troj

Reaction score
Where is the option?
When you're looking at a forum, right above the "Last Post" column is a drop-down for "Forum Tools". Second option there is "Mark This Forum Read". That goes through and marks every message in the forum as read.

-Kevin

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
When I'm done I usually go to Quick Links at the top of the page and select 'Mark Forums Read'. This marks all the posts in all forums as read.

mjennings

Reaction score
I did the mark all forums read thing a while back (at least 9 months ago) but haven't used it since. I checked a few of the forums that I don't visit frequently and everything pre March 16, 2010 is marked as read, any thoughts? Thanks for looking into it.

NjCo

Reaction score
Where is that menu option Kevin??

99% of the time, I just hit "New Posts" at the top of the page and scroll through the list looking at titles of interest to read... I really hate it when I get to page three and halfway down it says, "the following threads have no new posts but still contain unread replies" and then continues to have another 8 pages listed like that after it...

It'd be nice to mark all the extras as "marked as read" once in awhile just to thin the herd on the 'still contains unread posts' once in awhile-- after all, if I didn't read it the first time, I'm not too worried that somebody else replied to stuff like "word association for all TRF'ers" a month ago... :D
I always just hit "New Posts" and then scan through and read what looks interesting and when I'm done I go to the Quick Link menu in the blue menu bar at the top of the page and click the "Mark Forums Read" item. That cleans the slate so that when I come back again I always start where I left off.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
I did the mark all forums read thing a while back (at least 9 months ago) but haven't used it since. I checked a few of the forums that I don't visit frequently and everything pre March 16, 2010 is marked as read, any thoughts? Thanks for looking into it.
I've just had a poke around, and if a thread or forum doesn't receive any new posts for 10 days it will be considered "read" by the software, whether you've read the thread or not.

Another tip - if you just want to mark all threads in a specific forum section as read, you can do that by double clicking the little bulletin board picture next to the forum on the main page.

Hope that helps,
Phil

Last edited:

troj

Reaction score
I've just had a poke around, and if a thread or forum doesn't receive any new posts for 10 days it will be considered "read" by the software, whether you've read the thread or not.
Thanks for researching that, Phil.

-Kevin

mjennings

Reaction score
cool thanks for looking into that I figured that was it. I was just curious. It would take a bit of memory space to remember everyone's unread threads.