Australian Dangerous Creatures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not everything in Straya wants to kill you. Over here (USA), there are dozens of products supposedly from Oz that are supposed to be good for you (pain creams, shampoo, etc.). Here's something that's supposed to have clinical evidence for its use: https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/manuka-honey-medicinal-uses
Somewhere, probably stuck in the back of a drawer, I've got some small tubes of this stuff I was given at wound care. Never did taste it, though.

Paralysis ticks

Gardening, AKA being attacked by grass ticks. Okay, the garden hasn't had much care for the past year and a bit and the grass is long and currently quite wet. Perfect breeding ground for grass ticks. They are the nymphs of the suitably nastily named paralysis tick and need a blood meal to develop into their next stage.

A large number, ~20, decided that I was the aforementioned blood meal.

The little suckers (get it?) are <1 mm long and hard to extract once they have their nasty fangs in you. Scratching irritates them, so they inject their nastiness into you. Symptoms include pain, redness, itchiness, nausea, sweating and uncontrolled swearing.

Time for some inside work and a whisky.

Paralysis ticks

Yeah. Aptly named as they do cause paralysis and death in smaller mammals (dogs, cats). Approximately 1:10,000 carry a disease called 'Tick Typhus', which is Lyme Disease by any other name. Hideous. Had it once and thought dying was a good option.

But we don't have Lyme Disease in Australia. Just something else which is the same, basically.

I can deal with the spiders and snakes, but ticks aren't my favourite critter. Insect repellent is next to useless. Just get bitten and try to get the little @#$% out with tweezers.

CATS Even?!?

"Can Australia curb its killer cats?"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64806771
"Australia has a cat problem. Its population of just over eight million feral and domestic cats are thought to kill billions of native creatures each year, many endangered.
For Juniper, favoured prey included birds, rodents and even red-bellied black snakes, Mr Fathers says."

There are videos on YT about "professional" cat hunting families in Australia. Kinda like hog hunters in the SE US.

In one, I remember them holding up a .300 Win Mag cartridge and talking about it. Seemed a bit of a silly splatter for housecats, but if varminting is their excuse and it gets their overlords to deign to allow them to have it, I'm all for it.

Personally, I'd be all about the .17 - .22 cal RF and CF stuff if that was my game. Maybe .204R for long shots.

Last edited:
Back