Australian Dangerous Creatures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like emus.
Emu_1_-_Tidbinbilla.jpg
I think the difference between dangerous and non-dangerous beasts is whether you threaten or feed them.

Found this one in the garden yesterday. It's the caterpillar of the Bat Winged Moth, about 15 cm (~6") long.

Before you think, "Oh, that's cute" this little bugger has hundreds of spines (the orange / red things) which are barbed and cannot be pulled out of your throbbing finger as they will snap off. The usual treatment is to cut out each barbed spine individually with a scalpel.

Oh, and the spines apparently hurt like Hell.

Caterpillar - Bat Wing Moth.jpg

Found this one in the garden yesterday. It's the caterpillar of the Bat Winged Moth, about 15 cm (~6") long.

Before you think, "Oh, that's cute" this little bugger has hundreds of spines (the orange / red things) which are barbed and cannot be pulled out of your throbbing finger as they will snap off. The usual treatment is to cut out each barbed spine individually with a scalpel.

Oh, and the spines apparently hurt like Hell.

View attachment 493759
That reminds me a little of the hickory horned devil, which you can find here in the southern US. But of course it’s not dangerous at all, despite its name. 1639279428131.jpeg

Ok but why does that one look WORSE?!?!
I know, right? First time I saw one, it crossed my path on a hike in the woods and I nearly jumped five feet in the air. They’re so freaking big. And completely harmless.

I went to my father inlaw's place yesterday. As he walks to the door to open it for me he asks "Why are you looking up?". There was a mozzie with about a 3" legspan. One of the biggest I have seen for a while.

Saw this lovely lady the other day in country Victoria. Not sure what sort of spider she is, but it looks like an orb-weaver of some sort. If that is the sort of spider it is unlikely to be harmful to humans, although seriously scary. For scale that is a grown cicada she is eating.
20220125_141409.jpg

Back