Australian Dangerous Creatures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the size you see in the earlier picture. Now picture thousands of them marching. No way I'm putting my feet on the ground there.
I’m imagining that scene in Indiana Jones 4 where the buff guy gets carried down into the anthill and eaten alive, just with these crabs.

Not deadly, just not my idea of camping...
Coconut Crabs on Australia's Christmas Island.
Nope, nope, nope...

View attachment 640659
"Hey, Honey, coconut-scented Dinner just walked up on us! Let's steam them in vodka (on the table), and eat them with garlic butter and that hot sauce [that's on the table, too]!
"Then let's get frisky, OK?"

I remember somehow that they were not, looking it up to satisfy my own curiosity I find I was mistaken….
The coconut crab is eaten as a delicacy – and regarded as an aphrodisiac - on some islands.
I am guessing that "eaten as a delicacy in some places" and "regarded as an aphrodisiac" means that they taste terrible to many/most people. If they didn't, the first would be "eaten as a delicacy" (and they'd be nearing extinction from overhunting) and they wouldn't have to try to convince you with the second. It's a little like descriptions of berries, in descending order of tastiness:

Delicious
Tasty
Good for pie (aka so sour they're only edible when drowned in sugar)
Has medicinal properties (aka you won't eat them unless you're sick)
Eaten in winter (aka you won't eat them unless there's literally nothing else)

Delicious
Tasty
That applies everything.

I am guessing that "eaten as a delicacy in some places" and "regarded as an aphrodisiac" means that they taste terrible to many/most people. If they didn't, the first would be "eaten as a delicacy" (and they'd be nearing extinction from overhunting) and they wouldn't have to try to convince you with the second. It's a little like descriptions of berries, in descending order of tastiness:

Delicious
Tasty
The only crabs I've ever NOT liked were the ones to which kiririn (post #304) referred. . .
That applies everything.
Hmmm. I am able to think of an exception, but the Censor Nazi-nanny would remove my post. ;-{)

Back