Aurora launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred22

Reaction score
Well I finally got to launch a rocket last night. It was an estes astrobeam on a B6-4 in zero wind and -40C. Looked good cooking away with the aurora inthe background. The lights failled to work and the chute candled but the rocket was recoverred and the flight looked great. Wish i had got a geminid in there but oh well :)

rocket aurora.jpg

Very nice!

You won't find many pics like this: rocket launch + aurora.

Greg

That's probably the best launch picture I've ever seen!
I wish I could see the Northern Lights where I live :impatient:

:merry-christmas:,
Tom

Very cool pic. I miss seeing the aurora. And oddly I live in Aurora, CO!

Thanks for the kind words guys:) I run a tour business and the oportunity arose7:)
Cheers
Fred

.....-40? You, sir, are truly addicted and must go through BP withdrawls.

Have you seen a doctor about your condition?:happydeer:

.....-40? You, sir, are truly addicted and must go through BP withdrawls.

Have you seen a doctor about your condition?:happydeer:

LoL :) I start getting busy in September and stay that way till boxing day:) I worked rocket launches into my northern lights tour business. Guests love it and I get to at least send up some rockets. The cold does tend to freeze the chute but this is where I live what are ya going to do:)
Cheers
Fred

Well I finally got to launch a rocket last night. It was an estes astrobeam on a B6-4 in zero wind and -40C. Looked good cooking away with the aurora inthe background. The lights failled to work and the chute candled but the rocket was recoverred and the flight looked great. Wish i had got a geminid in there but oh well :)

"Oh well" my hiney!
Thats a great shot!!!

Very, very nice shot. Absolutely gorgeous.

Beautiful! I don't know if EMRR is still publishing their calendars, but this one definitely runs as the winter image! Simply a great combination of elements. Nicely done!

Awesome photo, though at first I thought you were talking about a different kind of Aurora.:D

The cold does tend to freeze the chute but this is where I live what are ya going to do:)
Cheers
Fred
Fred,

Not sure how well they would work in the cold but have you considered ripstop nylon chutes? Other cloths such as cotton, or some synthetics may also work, as long as they don't get wet. Perhaps a good R&D project for those northern NAR members, "Textile Chute Behavior in Sub zero Temperature Regimes".

Other wise I agree your photo is beautiful!

Garth

:merry-christmas:

The nice (or perhaps I should say "convenient") thing about -40, is that it is the same in both C and F. Regardless, I don't think superlatives do any kind of justice in describing how cold that is. Except maybe Carson/McMahon could pull it off, "It is so cold that ..." :D

Greg

Fred,

Not sure how well they would work in the cold but have you considered ripstop nylon chutes? Other cloths such as cotton, or some synthetics may also work, as long as they don't get wet. Perhaps a good R&D project for those northern NAR members, "Textile Chute Behavior in Sub zero Temperature Regimes".

Other wise I agree your photo is beautiful!

Garth

:merry-christmas:

Thanksd Garth Itsd worth a try :)

Fred:
As usual an OutaSight Shot! Gorgeous picture! -40 WooooWee now that's what we call nippy LOL!!!:santa-smile::hohoho:

Cold even by my standards John. Its been a bit of a cold snap up here :)
Cheers
Fred

Absolutely Beautiful shot Fred.
Sorry about the rocket, but the pic might just be worth it!

We won't even discuss the -40. But hey it's a "dry cold" right :)

Oh and :merry-christmas:

Absolutely Beautiful shot Fred.
Sorry about the rocket, but the pic might just be worth it!

We won't even discuss the -40. But hey it's a "dry cold" right :)

Oh and :merry-christmas:

Merry Christmas to you as well:) The cold is what it is pal :) Cest la vie in the north:)
Cheers
Fred

Back