Attention scratchbuilders!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you do?

• 2 wraps of glass over phenolic?

• 5 wraps of pure glass?

• Other???

• 2 wraps of glass over phenolic?

• 5 wraps of pure glass?

• Other???

Results are only viewable after voting.

Minimag54mm

Reaction score
I have been building all my birds from scratch(except the motor) for a little over a year now. Although"I" prefer to do it this way, I am quite curious to find out how many of us actually do...L3 guys don't count considering L3 is "all about" scratchbuilding..
Be honest now.............. :D

I am usually the first two in a way....

For example, my Megablast and Magnum. The Megablast is 100% scratch. My Magnum is a kit... but I modified it so many ways... The only thing I did not change on it was the fins....

I rarely build a kit without adding my 2 cents to it... I am always looking for ways to improve a rocket :)

Originally posted by n3tjm
I rarely build a kit without adding my 2 cents to it... I am always looking for ways to improve a rocket :)

I am this way also......... example; I have put scratch built fins on my LOC expeditor........

Guess I'm with Doug in the first 2 categories, but I haven't actually built or bought a Kit in the last 8 years.
My current flyable fleet was recently consolidated into a 10x10x12 foot shed... still leaving a ton of models in every room of the house except the kitchen and bathroom...(working on a micro Polaris UGM-27-A1 for the bathroom:)) nearly all of the 236, standard, competition, odd-roc. PMC, Upscale and Scale models are either Cloned or completely scratch built, of the 87 current Micro-Maxx models 10 were the RTF Quest "kits", retired/damaged or duplicates of competition models are everywhere. My little townhouse runith over:D

I guess I am about 60/40 scratch/kits. I usually do at least a minor mod to a kit, except maybe for my Art Applewhite saucers. Of course, some of those are heavily modified too :)

I'll throw down the occasional kit, but usually with an "improvement" here or there.

I lean heavily to the scratch end of the spectrum. I have quite a few kits waiting in the wings, though. My current project (way cool, btw) is another scratch project. And it's not even a bash, clone, nor upscale!

I do all three. I scratchbuild, including cone turning and ring cutting. I draw the line at tubr rolling! I also buy and build kits bone stock, but I mostly modify them one way or another.

I bought a few kits at first just to get a feel for it but now it's all scratch. When I ran out of funding for the tubes, I started rolling my own tubes. they're not as pretty as bought tubes but they work and I was getting better at it until I moved. I haven't turned my own nosecones yet but when I get back to building I'll set up for it and crank them out as necessary. I've been working on designs for electronic timers, etc. as well. Eventually I'll be making my own motors too.

Peace:cool:

Mike

i'm mainly into scratchbuilt as I couldn't find any interesting kits out there. Over the past year I've been building a lot of kits though. 17 to be exact...

:D :D

When it comes to any rocket 2" in diameter or above, I typically scratchbuild. (...except for the plastic nosecone or Roachwerks cone.)

Here is one of my best scratchbuilds to date - see attachment.

I don't know if I fall into any catagory listed. Over the past winter I have developed 5 rocket models of my own and this summer all 5 were sucessfully flown and recovered. I use my own designs and mainly manufacturer parts to save time. So really I don't know what to call myself. Maybe a kit-basher? :eek:

Jim Pierson

I like to start with kits because when I get them at Hoblob at half price, I think that is cheaper than I can buy a comparable set of parts.
I must admit that I can't seem to build a kit without making small changes and improvements. A better shock mount, motor mount, or fin attach, that sort of stuff. It's an illness.
I can't remember the last time I built a kit per the plans. I think I will build my first Spitfire to the plans (that's a compliment, Jim) if I ever get to it.

I do all three ways pretty much but, I preferr Kit bash.
that way it narrows down an idea to the materials availible
I have a hard time just coming up with a new idea just on paper

lately I've done alot of estes(mod roc) -to- midpower stuff

I build mostly clones, so I guess that would be scratch built. I do buy a kit here and there. The Crayons and other odd rockets qualify too, I think.

Scratchbuilding rocks
I'm building 3 scratch builts now, I love to scratch build, I might try to make early NASA rockets out of card stock, oh yeah

Back