Attention motor collectors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would anyone 'collect" a motor. That sounds like heresy. They should be set free!:p

I've seen t-shirts saying

"If you love your rocket, set it free, if it comes back, the motor wan't big enough."

:D

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
All you motor collectors might want to check out this bad boy.

https://www.rocketryonline.com/cgi-bin/auctions/auction.cgi?propulsion&1102751514

i've never been a *collector*, but have aquired many a motor over the years. while I don't have anything larger than a "G", I have boxes of motors from that era and earlier. I've several from 87, 85 and some earlier though I can't figure out the date-codes just yet...I have a beautiful 18mm D6.6-0 from 1985 (yep, you could stage composites back then), a 24mm E50 from '87 and a whole stack of 24mm G55's

G55s are meant to be flown. That's what I'm going to do. (7000 ft anyone?)

Originally posted by jflis
i've never been a *collector*, but have aquired many a motor over the years. while I don't have anything larger than a "G", I have boxes of motors from that era and earlier. I've several from 87, 85 and some earlier though I can't figure out the date-codes just yet...I have a beautiful 18mm D6.6-0 from 1985 (yep, you could stage composites back then), a 24mm E50 from '87 and a whole stack of 24mm G55's

Hey Jim, I'll jump in the carwith a half dozen 24mm boids and we can spend all night on an inventory reduction event! Of course we would have to start at 3AM...

The I140 was great motor.

I used to use this motor in my LOC Magnum when I flew it out at Lucerne in 1987-88.

These were 'single-use' motors, not reloadable. At the time, they were considered a good sized motor.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Hey Jim, I'll jump in the carwith a half dozen 24mm boids and we can spend all night on an inventory reduction event! Of course we would have to start at 3AM...

LOL now *that* sounds like it would be a HOOT! :)

Gee I wonder why I didn't liberate thos G55s from you at the original TRF meet? Or weren't they in the box with the G125 and G10?

The I140 was great motor.

At the time, they were considered a good sized motor.

Sounds like, to me, it's still a good sized motor.

I have some Estes and some Centuri B14 motors but I don't have the heart to fly 'em.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Why would anyone 'collect" a motor. That sounds like heresy. They should be set free!:p

I'm only collecting them until I can get to a launch where they're allowed:

FSI F100-0
FSI F100-10
FSI F7-4
FSI F7-6
AT G80-13
AT G110-10

I was really hoping to get Mach 1 and a mile up in the Extreme 29 and booster with the F100s, but the best I can seem to sim is 300 feet short. Adding weight takes it higher but slows it down.

I wish I could find an .eng file for the G110s. I'd like to see what they'd do in an Extreme 24 (three left at Countdown, BTW).

My policy with old motors is to use them, but be more selective than with the newer ones on when and in what rocket. I'm still having a problem getting a rocket built for the G125-20 I bought off jflis. My current small 29mm rockets need a -15 or a tad shorter. I may end up sacrificing it to an Art Applewhite saucer!

If ;you use that on a saucer (man, won't *that* be incredible :) ), be sure to get to it right after landing as the ejection charge will probably go off near the ground and you want to avoid fires...

Yeah, I always do that for saucers. Well, I prolly did forget at least once! ;)

If ;you use that on a saucer (man, won't *that* be incredible :) ), be sure to get to it right after landing as the ejection charge will probably go off near the ground and you want to avoid fires...

The ejection will be way after it lands. Remove the BP ejection.

I'd put it in a minimum diameter but fairly heavy rocket. It will coast forever :D

Yeah I need a min. dia. rocket for that one. I have several near min. dia. and they need the -15. I was hoping to try to rip the fins off of a Quest plastic fin can, but will have to try with a G80-10FWL (my last one boo-boo)

Originally posted by rstaff3
Yeah I need a min. dia. rocket for that one. I have several near min. dia. and they need the -15. I was hoping to try to rip the fins off of a Quest plastic fin can, but will have to try with a G80-10FWL (my last one boo-boo)

I've seen Quest plastic fincans survive transonic G80 flights, so you will probably need more than that. I had one survive abuut 900mph on a H275, 900mph was when it shredded, but I think the tube gave out first. If you want it to shred, don't use the G80, the G125 might do it though.

Back