Attention Codemasters!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
Lately I've been looking on JimZ Rocket Plans, and have thinking about building an exotic tumbler. The problem is I don't no how to tranlate old school part lingo into new school part lingo.
If you could post much appreciated.

Originally posted by Fishhead
What "code" are you having trouble breaking? Here is a link to the Estes and Centuri body tube codes. Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?
https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/body_tubes.html

Bill's right...and there is another manual that's a great source of info in converting part numbers like 3XXXX for fin stock tubes etc. It's on JimZ'S site...

Here's the link...print it out and keep a copy in on your bench!
Custome Parts Catalog from 1974

Hey Bill, is there newer version ya think?

That's exactly what I was looking for!!! It might help you to know that I'm trying to clone the Astron Sprite. THanks again.

Make the vent hole larger than the original. Today's ejection charges are stronger than they were back when that kit was designed. If you use the original size hole, you'll kick out the engine every time. I know this because my Sprite clone has kicked alot of engines.

This one is made form BT20 tube with 1/8" fin stock and a BNC20L cone.

https://www.squirrel-works.com/ssprite1.jpg

Actually I'm having trouble finding BT-30. BMS sells the cone, but the BT type isn't listed. I also checked Totally Tubular and no dice. Then again I have yet to email them. I'll get on that as soon as I can. Any input is appreciated.

Yeah, you're gonna have trouble finding BT30. BT20 is just a tad smaller and won't be noticable in the finished rocket.

The sad thing is I only need 2.75" of it. I'm still gonna search a bit for it. I'm really picky when it comes to cloning. If I don't run into luck I'll do the BT-20 downscale. And you're right I can hardly tell. If you wouldn't have told me your's is BT20 I would've never known any better.

Originally posted by mkmilion
Actually I'm having trouble finding BT-30. BMS sells the cone, but the BT type isn't listed. I also checked Totally Tubular and no dice. Then again I have yet to email them. I'll get on that as soon as I can. Any input is appreciated.

Totally Tubular sells BT-30 as BT-20+. I bought one or two of them a few years back and they fit the BMS nose cones very well.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Bill's right...and there is another manual that's a great source of info in converting part numbers like 3XXXX for fin stock tubes etc. It's on JimZ'S site...

Here's the link...print it out and keep a copy in on your bench!
Custome Parts Catalog from 1974

Hey Bill, is there newer version ya think?

That's the only version that I've ever seen, but there are a few parts numbers that I can never seem to find. Maybe it has been updated.

That's the only version that I've ever seen, but there are a few parts numbers that I can never seem to find. Maybe it has been updated.

I was on the phone with Christine a while back (called about a CATO with a C11) and asked her if ESTES had a recent catalog of parts. She said no but I suspect that SOMEWHERE there has to be something.

What's interesting is the part system they have now which will not be all that helpful in the future. An example is a PNC55 set that you might purchase. Half the bag is of one type, and the other a different type. NOW, they have changed it to all of the same nose cones all of this under the same part number!

The BARS of the future are certainly in for a challange!:D

Totally Tubular sells BT-30 as BT-20+. I bought one or two of them a few years back and they fit the BMS nose cones very well.

Don't listen to this idiot. Totally Tubular does sell BT-30, listed as T-30. If Fishhead had taken a second to check the TT pricelist that he keeps in his desk overhead, he'd have been able to give you the right information a couple of days ago, but he's WAY too smart for that.
They come in 34" lengths, so one should be more than enough for you to clone all of the Estes BT-30 kits. Sorry for the confusion.

What is the length on the tail ring. I'm ordering some tube from BMS in two days and want them to laser cut me up some.

Back