Attempting Level 1 Certification @ MDRA ESL 268 - Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FjStix

Reaction score
I have done my research and the only question that remains is how to initiate this Level 1 certification flight. I have only attended a few club launches and haven't attempted to gather this info in person, which I should have. Here is what I have done so far and what I need clarification on. Please and Thanks to All.

Read and Understood the NAR Certification Flight Requirements ✔
Registered With NAR as a Member ✔
Printed the NAR HP Certification Application ✔
Built a 66MM Diameter Rocket Capable of High-Power Flights ✔
Tested Rocket with Mid-Power Motor ✔
Understood How to Schedule / Initiate the Level 1 Certification Flight at Next Local MDRA Launch 🛑
Consult TRF for Answers 🔝

Photo of Said 66mm Rocket :

Slipstream V1.jpg

Video of Flight in Slo-Mo:
View attachment Slipstream V1 Launch #2.mov

Good looking rocket!
I'm not super knowledgeable here but in the same boat as you. I went about a month ago and attempted level one cert, didn't go as planned, but was amazing.
Anyway, I showed up at a launch with my paperwork, spoke with the RSO, he hooked me up with a couple guys that asked me about my build and where the CG and CP was. I pulled it all apart, they watched me pack it all back in the BT and gave a few pointers along the way. They asked me to drill my delay, install the motor without the igniter, then bring it to the RSO table. I did as they asked, we went out to the rail and loaded it up, I installed the igniter, all while they gave me pointers. They didn't necessarily tell me what to do, just suggestions.
We went back to RSO table and did the countdown, as it left the rail, it turned into a roman candle, I have watched it over 100 times, fast, slow backwards, forward.
Don't let this discourage you, final coat of paint is drying on it as we speak, but it is my favorite flight to watch, once I got over the heartache.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210422-123516_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210422-123516_Video Player.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20210422-123552_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210422-123552_Video Player.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210422_123650.jpg
    20210422_123650.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 52
Good looking rocket!
I'm not super knowledgeable here but in the same boat as you. I went about a month ago and attempted level one cert, didn't go as planned, but was amazing.
Anyway, I showed up at a launch with my paperwork, spoke with the RSO, he hooked me up with a couple guys that asked me about my build and where the CG and CP was. I pulled it all apart, they watched me pack it all back in the BT and gave a few pointers along the way. They asked me to drill my delay, install the motor without the igniter, then bring it to the RSO table. I did as they asked, we went out to the rail and loaded it up, I installed the igniter, all while they gave me pointers. They didn't necessarily tell me what to do, just suggestions.
We went back to RSO table and did the countdown, as it left the rail, it turned into a roman candle, I have watched it over 100 times, fast, slow backwards, forward.
Don't let this discourage you, final coat of paint is drying on it as we speak, but it is my favorite flight to watch, once I got over the heartache.

Thanks for the info. What motor and kit/build was that?

Level 1 is pretty straight forward. MDRA is very helpful to new folks interested in High Power. I would suggest keeping your flight reasonably low and slow. My co-worker tried for his L-1 at Red Glare and watched as his Fiberglass Little John soared out of sight never to be seen again. He flew an "I" motor and should have gone with something tamer in the "H" class. The RSO will want to see at least a 5-1 thrust to weight ratio and a stable rocket with all the gear packed. Got my L-1 at MDRA and plan to try for L-2 at ESL 268. Best of luck in your effort, and glad to extend any help I can.

I recommend using the contact form on the "Contact Us" page on the MDRA website and let them know you want to do your cert at ESL 268. They can link you up with someone that can certify you so that you can have it all arranged before you arrive and also get some pointers while you have time to do something about it before you get to the field. MDRA has loads of great people that will help you out.

I recommend using the contact form on the "Contact Us" page on the MDRA website and let them know you want to do your cert at ESL 268. They can link you up with someone that can certify you so that you can have it all arranged before you arrive and also get some pointers while you have time to do something about it before you get to the field. MDRA has loads of great people that will help you out.

Appreciate the info. Will do!

It's a 4" Loc Hawk, weighing 6.8 lbs loaded with an Areotech H550. Photo is just before it went up as a Roman Candle.

Attachments

• 20210419_213347.jpg
    20210419_213347.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 10
It's a 4" Loc Hawk, weighing 6.8 lbs loaded with an Areotech H550. Photo is just before it went up as a Roman Candle.

:eek: Any idea what went wrong? I am in the process of building the LOC IV and I don't feel like I can use enough epoxy to feel safe after seeing some rockets become motor launchers on the rail.

:eek: Any idea what went wrong? I am in the process of building the LOC IV and I don't feel like I can use enough epoxy to feel safe after seeing some rockets become motor launchers on the rail.

If he used the reload, something like that points to improper assembly.

Using a more moderate-thrust motor than the H550 is also probably a good idea.

The LOC IV is a rock solid kit. When I did my L1, I had that one on-hand as my backup in case the primary bird went sideways. The LOC IV is a classic and flies beautifully.

There is a reason John Coker used that kit to make his "Learn to build a Level 1 Rocket" video:

It was a single use motor, something went haywire on the ejection end and started blowing fire out the wrong end.
I learned Areotech has had some issues on the high thrust motors blowing out, not sure if my issue was the same. They made the motor up, I'm just going with it, just hoping it doesn't happen again.
In regards to using the lower impulse motor, my choices were limited from my vendor, problem was not a thrust issue, it was a CATO.:)

It was a single use motor, something went haywire on the ejection end and started blowing fire out the wrong end.
I learned Areotech has had some issues on the high thrust motors blowing out, not sure if my issue was the same. They made the motor up, I'm just going with it, just hoping it doesn't happen again.
In regards to using the lower impulse motor, my choices were limited from my vendor, problem was not a thrust issue, it was a CATO.:)

Ah, I see now the H550 comes in both an RMS and DMS version. Not a whole lot you can do about a DMS CATO except make a warranty claim. Sorry that happened to you.

Just to pick a nit, it's not lower IMPULSE I recommended, it's lower THRUST. It's really important to know the difference. A motor that produces 500 N of thrust for half a second has the same impulse as a motor that produces 125 N of thrust for two seconds. (500 N * .5 s = 125 N * 2 s = 250 N-s)

You are absolutely 💯 correct. I am new in this and apologize for using the wrong term. I'm aware of the difference, and also seen an I140 weather cock on a 4 lb rocket, looked at my options and picked the H550. Planning ahead, it will get a J500 with dual JLCR for the level 2 cert, then a mile high on something that will keep it under mach .8. Provided it lives that long. ;)

The only DMS that I have flown was an H550 and it CATOed on the pad. Front end let go. Got a replacement, but a little concerned about using it. Luckily, it got kickout out the back and everything got snuffed out. Only damage was to the payload BT, but that was easily replaced.

I have a Loc IV and have flown it on a H550 with no electronics. Flew beautifully to about 3500ft. Drifted about 1/4 mile. Visible the whole time. Weight off pad was about 2.6lbs.

Photo of Said 66mm Rocket :

Beautiful rocket, and very nice flight!

Ah nuts, that is disappointing, but glad to see you're going back for another shot at it.

MDRA is very helpful to new folks interested in High Power.

Yes indeed, I've found that to be extremely true. Helpful and friendly.

I recommend using the contact form on the "Contact Us" page on the MDRA website and let them know you want to do your cert at ESL 268.

That's what I did before flying a level 1 cert at MDRA, and everything went very smoothly. Lots of good advice here.

The LOC IV is a rock solid kit. When I did my L1, I had that one on-hand as my backup in case the primary bird went sideways. The LOC IV is a classic and flies beautifully.

There is a reason John Coker used that kit to make his "Learn to build a Level 1 Rocket" video:

I have watched this video several times!!

When you get to Central Sod Farm on 5/15 go to the registration desk and tell them that you want to do your L1 cert. They will put out the hew and cry for Dave Weber, or someone equally qualified. It is very easy.

When you get to Central Sod Farm on 5/15 go to the registration desk and tell them that you want to do your L1 cert. They will put out the hew and cry for Dave Weber, or someone equally qualified. It is very easy.
E-mail them first. You want to make sure there will be someone there who can certify you. For NAR, it's anyone L2 or above. For TRA, it's a TAP (Fred, Dave) or the prefect (Scott). bod 'at' mdrocketry 'dot' com. You may be required to build your motor on the field, so don't do that ahead of time.

I am almost always there, ready to help with certifications.. Contact information is on the MDRA web page. BTW, I love the AT H550 Single Use...:clapping:

Last edited:
No better group of people you'd like to meet than the people at MDRA. A few weeks ago was my Lev 1 cert there, and they could not have helped/guided me more. I'm now a member

Latest posts

Back