Attaching shroud lines to a swivel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdma77

Reaction score
Does anybody have any documentation on how to attach shroud lines to a swivel ? The last few parachutes I have used had tethering loops. I then attached them to quicklinks on one side and to the swivel on the other side.

Thanks,

Jeff

I align the loops in the shroud lines, feed them thru the swivel, and then feed the chute thru the set of loops.

Originally posted by cdma77
Does anybody have any documentation on how to attach shroud lines to a swivel ? The last few parachutes I have used had tethering loops. I then attached them to quicklinks on one side and to the swivel on the other side.

Thanks,

Jeff

Pull the shrouds into a single point.
Push it through the eye until a loop of shroud protrudes.
Push the snap up (or down) through that loop.
Pull the shrouds down over the span body until they form a double loop around the eye.

The benefits to this method are:
1. You can adjust the shrounds to equal length/tightness before pulling it completely tight (and it is self-tightening under load).
2. You can remove it if desired by working a fine tipped tool into the loop around the eye.
3. The amount of shroud tightening on the eye is twice the amount of shroud if not double looped. It makes it less likely to break there.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Pull the shrouds into a single point.
Push it through the eye until a loop of shroud protrudes.
Push the snap up (or down) through that loop.
Pull the shrouds down over the span body until they form a double loop around the eye.

The benefits to this method are:
1. You can adjust the shrounds to equal length/tightness before pulling it completely tight (and it is self-tightening under load).
2. You can remove it if desired by working a fine tipped tool into the loop around the eye.
3. The amount of shroud tightening on the eye is twice the amount of shroud if not double looped. It makes it less likely to break there.

Do you have any pictures of this. I am a little unclear.

Thanks,

Jeff

Originally posted by rbeckey
There are some pics in this thread.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4468&highlight=swivel

This is just one way. There are others. I like to be able to get the swivels off relatively easily to untangle the lines.

Bob,

Sorry, but I am having a hard time understanding the pictures. They are hard to make out. I see that you pull the shroud lines through the swivel, but where do you go from that point.

Jeff

You then feed the parachute through the loop that the shrouds make. (the swivel should be in the middle of this setup until you complete this step)

One thing good about this method...it will be easier when you have a swivel and a chute in front of you. I bet you figure it out. Plus, if the shroud lines aren't aligned right, you just back up and try it again.

This is one of those classic things that's easier done than said.

You do not need to pass the parachute canopy through anything. Gather shroud loops together and push through the swivel eye about so the loop bundle sticks through about an inch. Once they're through, push the snap-hook part of the swivel back through the bundled loops of the shroud lines and pull tight. Voila - you never even had to touch the canopy.

I'd post pictures, but can't do that here from work.

Originally posted by cdma77
Do you have any pictures of this. I am a little unclear.

Thanks,

Jeff

You have just invited me to have way too much fun with my new digital camera, Photo Editor and Power Point. Strap in and plug in your safety interlock key.

1. This isn't a snap swivel, but the idea is the same. This is bigger so you can see it better.

2. Lay out the chute with the shrouds untangled and bottom towards the swivel.

3. Pull the shrouds together into a point or small loop with their bottom points together. Don't worry about getting them exact, we'll do that later.

4. Push the point/loop of the shrouds through the eye of the swivel, and once through, pull open the loop so it's bigger than the swivel.

5. Take the swivel and lay it over the shrouds on one side of the loop, and lay the snap end inside the loop.

6. Take the other side of the loop and flip it over the swivel. If it makes more sense, consider it as pulling the swivel farther through the loop that you've put it inside of, and then pulling it under the other side of the loop. The point is it should go over one side of the loop, through the center, and under the other side.

7. Start pulling the swivel away from the chute. This will start tightening the shrouds.

8. Now, pick up the chute by its point in one hand and the swivel in the other. Note that the shrouds are not tightened on the swivel. If by chance that happened, lay it down and loosen them again.

9. Pull the chute up and the swivel down. The shrouds will start to tighten. Now start making sure that all the chute/shroud connection points are together, so that the shrouds are all exactly the same length. While they are still not quite tight you can slide them individually until they're the same length. Even if it does tighten up some, you can loosen them by pulling on the part of the shrouds looped over the long parts going to the chute. Frequently you can just hold the chute by the point with the swivel dangling, pull down, and the balance is adequate.

10. Here the loop is not quite tightened, so you can see how it would appear if you loosened it for better balancing. This would also be the first step in reversing the process, in case you wanted to remove the chute from that swivel. This is sometimes necessary to untangle the shrouds since swivels do not completely prevent this.

11. This is a quick link. It is an alternative to snap swivels. You can unscrew the hex part to open them, hook it over the shrouds (one time; no looping/pulling through), hook it through your screw eye or loop in the shock cord, and screw it tight. Since the shrouds slide freely through it, it adjusts the lengths automagically as it descends. They come in sizes down to 1/8" and cost about a dollar. For that matter, the two widgets I used in these pictures to synthesize a snap swivel are pretty much exactly the same except the arm with the screw-tight also hinges in to make it easy to snap onto something. These are frequently found with key rings.

12. "I say, do you suppose Travelocity can get me a ride on one of these things? Looks like jolly good fun."

What Dyna said. ;) That is how I do mine, but his explanation is somewhat more explanatory. After you do it a couple of times, you will see that it is easy to pull the swivel out, then untangle the lines and reinstall.

go to google.com and research hwo to tie a knot called a "larks head". that is the same knot you are tying when attaching a chute to a swivel.

-Chris

Back