Attaching rail button with well-nut

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRC

Reaction score
Dugh....:eek: Does anyone know if a brick and mortar store carries well-nuts ..?? Ace Hardware doesn't...Im reluctant to order online cuz I dont know what size I need !!! Its a 1000 series rail button on a 4" (Prec-Loc) tube..

I don't know if it helps, but my 1000 Series rail buttons from www.railbuttons.com use a 8-32 screw. But I have other 1000 Series rail buttons (likely from Giant Leap or Wildman Rocketry) that use 10-24 screws.

1/4" rail buttons use 8-32 screws.

Any industrial supply house or auto supply house that sells fasteners should have well nuts, AKA "rubber-insulated rivet nuts". You local home store may also have them.

Bob

Thanks guys I got them from Loc-Prec..Lowes guy didnt know what I was talking about either....arrgg..Ill hunt some more tomorrow

Lows has them...the highschool kit probably doesn't know what they are...They will be with the "special fasteners" it will be a bunch of drawrs with various hardware in them. Good Luck.

I've found them at Home Depot and Lowes... and yep, both times they said "No, we don't have anything like that."

Turns out they keep them hidden in the big drawer that says "WELL NUTS" on the fastener aisle.

I've found them at Home Depot and Lowes... and yep, both times they said "No, we don't have anything like that."
I have run into that a few times at our local Lowes..Last time I went in, the guy asked if he could help me find what I needed, I told him I was looking for 'snap ring pliers'. The look he gave me was as if I had said I was looking for a plasma reactor chamber tuning fork!:roll:
Turns out they keep them hidden in the big drawer that says "WELL NUTS" on the fastener aisle.

Yep, they keep them very well hidden! Nope we don't have no well nuts in the well nuts drawer, they be in the plumbing department!

Whew Hoo...Lowes in fact did have em...In the secret squirrel "F" Drawer in the hardware dept...Thanks !!:)

when entering lowes/home depot I always make sure to have afresh napkin in my pocket so when they ask if i need help I can wipe the drewle off there chin before they tell me they don't know or have what it is I am looking for. last time in to home depot I was looking for a drain cock and was told to call the manufacure of the tank to get a new one!!! :eek::y:

Contrary to what you have been told Ace Hardware has them. They are also with the fasteners. You unfortunately got the idiot high school kid who doesn't know his elbow from his a-hole. They are in the back near the allthread in the giant aisle with the rows full of screws in all sizes from 2-56 to like 5/8". If not larger. Ace is a good place but some of their employees are dumber than a brick.

Most of the hardware stores have employees that know nothing about what they sell. You're lucky if they even know what aisle the common things are located on.

If you want help in those stores, you have to go in between 9 AM and 3PM Monday -Thursday. That's when the retired plumbers, carpenters, machinists, etc are working part time for a little pin money. These guys usually know their stuff.

Yea, I have the same problem when I go into Radio Sack to pick up electronic components, when I walk in they ask "Can I help you find anything?" to which I reply "probably not". The guys at Frys are usually pretty knowledgable about their department but dont ask one of the guys in the Phone department a Question about test equipment...They are usually pretty good about finding the person who does know the answre though.

Well nut(s) worked like a charm...Got my level 1 today using em....Thanks fellas..!!! :clap:

Back