Attaching kevlar line to small Qualman baffles?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
How are people attaching kevlar line to the smaller (BT50/55) Qualman baffles?

I gather from the photos that the disk with the hole in the middle is glued to the top "half moon" plate.

And that is the kevlar shock cord mount?

Drill a hole through the disk and top plate, thread the kevlar through, tie a stopper knot and cover it with glue?

Or are people using a small eye-bolt or screw-eye in a way that allows the kevlar line to be completely replaced later?

I use a small screw eye. Never failed me.

Replacing Kevlar... I have a supply of ex-surgical instruments to help me. A piece of fine wire with the Kevlar in-line (held in place with electrical tape) works well too. YMMV.

Double up the thickness of the upper plate and use a small screw eye as shown. I wouldn't use the knot method and thread it through as that would be exposing the knot side directly to the hot gases.

Here are some examples from a couple of my builds.

20.jpgIMG_9165.jpg

Double up the thickness of the upper plate and use a small screw eye as shown.
That sounds like the best plan. I like the idea of being able to replace the kevlar if needed. The "official" photos show the reinforcement on the top using one of the round pieces from the vent holes.

Has anybody figured out the purpose of the small notches in the outer edges of the two end plates? Was that intended as an anchor point for kevlar string?

Back