Attaching fins question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KILTED COWBOY

Reaction score
Not sure if I am in the correct forum.
Will you get a strong bond if you are gluing the fins to the body tube after filling the spirals.
I know some folks just fill and sand the area around the spirals,in that case guess no problems. But some folks recommend filling and priming the whole tube, that’s what I wonder how the adhesive bonds to primer paint
Thanks
KC

I think if you're just filling spirals, you should be OK doing that first. (The area of the spirals is small.) However, if you're priming first, I suspect you'll get a poorer bond. I generally fill everything last, because for me filling includes smoothing the exterior fillets as well.

IIRC carpenters wood filler is fine, glue will bond right through it. For priming and painting, either mask the attachment points first, or use a Dremel or other tool to strip the contact surface after priming.

I used a 100 grit to sand the fin attachment areas (very gently) to break through the clear outer layer and scuff the cardboard, but not to the point of damaging it. I didnt mask off the area, just drew my lines and went to town (very gently). I used 30 minute 2 part Bob Smith epoxy. When I taped off for the fillets the epoxy ate right into the sanded area and greatly stiffened the body tube. I know epoxy is heavier and harder to work with but I'm not going to use wood glue anymore, epoxy is a far superior mechanical joint. My fins are 1/8" plywood so might be different with balsa or bass wood.Image.jpg

Last edited:
Back