Attach harness to forward closure: why "knot?"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Buckeye

Reaction score
Why not simply tie kevlar to the motor forward closure as the recovery anchor point? My application is a 54mm min diameter (Wildman Mach 2). 1/8" Kevlar (750 lb, I think) should be plenty. Here are three knots I am toying with. Shown is an Extended Forward Closure for clarity. Photo on left is a limp cord, and the photo on right is with tension on the cord.

knots01.PNG

Honestly, I don't think any of these will come loose. Anybody try this?

tfish

Reaction score
I do that. I put electrical tape over the knot and around the FC to help hold everything place. I also use 'shock cord protection' for the first foot or so. (which can also be electrical or duct tape)

Tony

Buckeye

Reaction score
I do that. I put electrical tape over the knot and around the FC to help hold everything place. I also use 'shock cord protection' for the first foot or so. (which can also be electrical or duct tape)

Tony
Cool. I figured this would be a tfish or Crazy Jim thing to do! Tapped closures, hardpoint anchors, etc. seem so unnecessary.

tfish

Reaction score
Cool. I figured this would be a tfish or Crazy Jim thing to do! Tapped closures, hardpoint anchors, etc. seem so unnecessary.
They sort of are..unless your also using that "threaded point" for motor retention, bulk plate retention, rail button anchor point, ebay and sled attachment, or shock cord anchor. All those are hard to do with knots and tape..you might need some bailing wire too!

Tony