Atlas V 541 - Mars 2020

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

frognbuff2.0

Reaction score
I suppose I should have created this thread earlier and should have taken (a LOT) more pictures along the way, but I've been working on an Atlas V 541 model at 1:81.5 scale with the markings for the upcoming Mars 2020 mission for over a month now. It's all but done, once the semigloss has dried I only have to attach the SRBs to the core booster.

The canted ogives for the solids were 3D-printed and the model can be flown in a 531 configuration with a detachable fin unit I made for it. It can be flown with two 18mm and three 13mm motors, which if I muster the courage to risk this thing will likely be Estes A10-3T's and Quest/Aerotech C12-4s.

Attachments

Last edited:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Really well done, and dittos on the background collection! Impressive.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Haha, thanks! The collection is all my dad's. He frequents YORF with the username frognbuff.
Looks like you have big shoes to fill, but this rocket you posted looks like you are up to it!

frognbuff2.0

Reaction score
After a snafu with one of the solid rocket boosters forced a re-do on the lower half of the rocket, it's finally done. I'll try to post some more pics from different angles soon. For now here's a hesd-on shot with the would-be detachable fin unit to the side.

Attachments

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That takes me back. I worked on the Rainbow-1 satellite (now called Echostar 12) which launched, 17 years ago, on an Atlas V 521. That was the first use of the 5 metre fairing, and the first use of the SRBs, only the third flight of Atlas V. And let me tell you, stepping out the door of the payload processing center into the Titusville heat and humidity in July was like walking into a wall.