Athena launch program from Green River, Utah

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I take my Jeep to Utah frequently for Jeeping and camping. On our last trip a few weeks ago my daughter insisted on stopping at a food truck in Green River and while driving by a park she said she spotted a rocket in the park so I turned around and went back. There was a plaque commemorating Athena launches and others from Green River, with missile impact 470 miles away at White Sands, New Mexico. The missile that they have standing up didn't look like an Athena to me, didn't look like anything I could recognize offhand.
In some canyons south of Moab, UT I've seen mention on maps of "test rocket wreckage" and I always wondered it was. I looked on a map these bits of wreckage seem to be along a line between Green River and White Sands. I always thought the wreckage might be from sounding rockets but after this discovery in Green River I think the wreckage is likely lower stages of something like an Athena missile.IMG_4935b.jpgIMG_4936b.jpgIMG_4937b.jpg

Back