ATF Visited Today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunkie

Reaction score
Preface: I have an ATF LEUP w/storage.

Today, 5/19/04, I had my first ATF inspection in nearly three years. My last one was shorrtly after 9/11/01. The agents were thorough and asked me to keep my records up-to-date. My last official inventory was taken in April 2000 :) I figure that anyone who steals my motors will need to clean the garage just to get to the magazine.

Nothing out of the ordinary except for a couple of interesting comments that may be of interest.

(1) Some HPR folks with ATF LEUP w/storage have given ATF agents a hard time with the inspections.

(2) The ATF tends to inspect ATF LEUP holders w/storage more often if they have not in compliance with regualtions during previous inspections or if they have been belligerent to ATF agents in the past (see #1).

Food for thought.

So your magazine is in an attached garage? How did you accomplish THAT?

I'm curious to know if that's possible to do, or if the 75 feet rule has no exceptions.

Thanks,
Jason

Originally posted by jetra2

I'm curious to know if that's possible to do, or if the 75 feet rule has no exceptions.

Thanks,
Jason

You can get the LEUP with storage in an attached garage if you file for the correct...ummm...****. I can't think of what it's called. Variance! You can apply for a variance to store in an attached garage. I'd like to see what the criteria for that variance are, however.

Loopy

My garage is detached and more than 75 feet from my home or any other residence.

Loopy is correct and the word he is searching for is "variance". You can get a variance on most residential properties, granted you follow the other guidelines and are polite to the agents. Many are more than happy to assist you and are willing to work with you in order to successfully complete the request.

Carl

Originally posted by Loopy
I'd like to see what the criteria for that variance are, however.

I think I read something about a onehour fire protected barrier on the garage.

Jason

The only guidance (if you can call it that) that I have found from the BATF on getting a variance for storage in an attached garage is:

https://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/revrule/rules/2002-3.htm

I sent in my renewal a few weeks ago and I am applying for a variance for my brand new magazine. I can't say that I am eagerly awaiting a visit from an ATF inspector.

Huh. So it seems that as long as the state and local governments are okay with the storage in an attached garage, the ATF is okay with it too, as long as you can prove it. Cool!

Loopy

resistance is FUTILE!

well, i bought 54mm hardware, guess it's time to clean out the garage...
I take it that this is a new (relatively) thing, the LEUP requirement that is. being a recent BAR, i missed a few things. Does anyone actually believe that the BATF has any national security concerns over APCP formulations used in rocketry, or is it more than obvious that they are on a REVENUE collection jag...

for propellents, there are many formulations you can make cheaply by visiting the local grocery store/pharmacy/feed store, it would seem to me that the only folks paying the premium price for commercial propellents are going to be legitimate hobbyists.

did you get notification that they would be visiting, or was it a surprise inspection?

like i need FEDS around my house...
:(
i guess i'll keep an eye open for burning vans...
;)

[Originally posted by jetra2

I'm curious to know if that's possible to do, or if the 75 feet rule has no exceptions.QUOTE]Originally posted by jetra2 [/QUOTE]

I to have attached garage variance. The best recource I have found is:

https://xtratime.net/leup/leup.htm

They are very comprehensive in showing and telling you everything that needs to be done. Getting a variance does add some time to the application process but was not horrible.

The 75' rule does not apply to an indoor magazine.

Back