ATF visit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1336

Reaction score
The ATF came by today to inspect my house for my LEUP. All went well, she was very informative and thero. Permit should be here in a few weeks. The $100.00 is good for 3 years. One thing that startled me was that if you loose a reload and can't explain way............federal offense up to 5 years in prison.

I just checked 18 USC 844 and I can't find a penalty of 5 years anywhere.
Presumably you would be charged under 18 USC 842(j) but that carries a penalty of a maximum of one year.

https://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000844----000-.html

But I wouldn't worry about it too much as the ATF prefers to handle these problems administratively. A good example of this can be seen in an affidavit filed by the ATF in connection with the lawsuit.

https://home.earthlink.net/~schultdw/regulation/Als Hobby Affidavit.pdf

During my last ATF inspection they stressed that failing to report a theft or missing material was a felony. Could that have been what she was saying?

Yeah I believe that's what she was stressing, failure to report a theft. But its the same thing if you loose one and fail to report.

I just had an inspection on Tuesday for my LEMP. The unloaded all 750 pounds of propellant in the magazine was removed and checked it package by package back into the magazine. Normally a spot check was all that was done, but it was a new inspector out of the academy.

Oh well...

John

I just had an inspection on Tuesday for my LEMP. The unloaded all 750 pounds of propellant in the magazine was removed and checked it package by package back into the magazine. Normally a spot check was all that was done, but it was a new inspector out of the academy.

Oh well...

John

On my last inspection he checked to make sure every item in the box matched my records. Fortunatley I have about 700 pounds less than you do.

§ 555.204 Inspection of magazines.
Any person storing explosive materials shall inspect his magazines at least every seven days. This inspection need not be an inventory, but must be sufficient to determine whether there has been unauthorized entry or attempted entry into the magazines, or unauthorized removal of the contents of the magazines.

I go on business trips, vacations, at. el., which can place me out of town for more then seven days. I would like to know how experienced LEUP holders are complying with this requirement.

I go on business trips, vacations, at. el., which can place me out of town for more then seven days. I would like to know how experienced LEUP holders are complying with this requirement.

My guess would be to put a spouse or close rocket friend on there and make him fill out an EPQ and he/she would be able to sign/check on the magazine.

Ben

My guess would be to put a spouse or close rocket friend on there and make him fill out an EPQ and he/she would be able to sign/check on the magazine.

Ben

Only bona fide employees should fill out an EPQ.

Just get someone to check the magazine for you. Since entry into the magazine isn't required, I do not believe that the prohibited persons categories would apply. They do need to know what to do if they find a problem.

The Scenario FAQ doesn't directly address this situation but the first question is still very informative on this issue.

Back