Atari unveils first images of its Ataribox console

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Atari unveils first images of its Ataribox console

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/17/15980990/atari-ataribox-specs-pictures

Claimed to play classic games as well as modern games. From the looks of its size, I'll bet it's an Android game box like the NVidia Shield Pro TV box, playing classics via emulation with the "modern games" simply being modern Android titles, some maybe even developed by Atari. Unless it's at a better price/performance point than the $299 NVidia box or has some other significantly better feature, I doubt it will do well in the long run. Many people might buy it just because it has an Atari label on it and will therefore eventually become a collector's item if it doesn't last and not many are produced.

"Two versions of the Ataribox will be released, one in (faux, Atari 2600-like) wood, and one in black/red."

ataribox1.jpg

ataribox2.jpg

ataribox3.jpg

ataribox4.jpg

That's cool. I'd also bet it's Android/ARM based. Going to be a collectors item regardless. I still have my wood grain 4-switch 2600 that I've had since I was maybe 6 or 7. And it still works!

Back