AT Reloads How To?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
OK, I'm seeking expert advice. This may be a dumb question, but I just received my first set of AT reload kits. Of course I had to tear right into it and figure it out.
As I was trying to follow the directions, it became clear that the directions aren't. So my question is:

Can somebody take me step by step thru so I know exactly how to load them. For example which O-ring goes where, inside or outside etc.etc.

Thank you, and stop laughing. Hey if you never ask you will definately never receive.

I don't know which reload system you have, but if you go to www.aerotech-rocketry.com/ and click on the 'theatre' link to the left there is a series of 6 short movies that you can watch explaing how to assemble the 29/40-120. Since most AT casings/reloads use the same idea it should help no matter what casing you have.
and don't wory about sounding 'dumb', b/c like you said if you never ask you never find out:D

Perhaps you can be more specific. Aerotech has provided detailed instructions on how to assemble their product and I'm not sure, in general terms, how we can improve upon that. I have personally never had a problem following AT assembly instructions.

There are some assembly differences when you get into the larger reload systems, but I assume you are talking 29mm or smaller, no?

Clear you head; turn off the TV, radio, CD player, MP3 player, computer, etc. and concentrate on the task at hand. If you get to a point where you can figure out something specific, come back here and ask again.

--Lance.

First, no one will laugh, we'd rather see you fly your rocket, than to assemble the motor wrong, and have it cato. Second, which RMS do you have? If it's the 29/40-120, they have some video's on their web site which are very helpful. Slow, and a pain for us dial up users, but worth the wait if you down load them. If you have the 24/40, I've learned to first seperate all the parts into identical groups (there should be three of everything). Then seperate one of each part to make the three reload kits. This helps to determine which ring is which.

Kelly,

I was in the same boat as you last year, and I understand what you're saying.

I'm not stupid, it was the terminology that was foreign to me and made it difficult.

This liner here, that liner there, and the various other terms that were new to me..

Be more specific in your questions and we'll all try to help you out, as was asked before, let us know what casing you are loading and which reload..

From left to right: (Front facing Right)

RMS 18/20

1.) Liner Tube = Propellant grain -> Spacer (if required) -> delay grain

2.) Motor = aft closure -> thin 0-ring -> nozzle - > Liner Tube -> thick o-ring -> closure -> Ejection Charge.

RMS 24/40

1.) Delay Tube = Delay Spacer (if required), Delay Grain.

2.) Forward Closure = Delay Tube -> small thick o-ring.

3.) Liner Tube = Propellant Grain (tape on front end for D and E loads) -> Spacer (D and E loads only)

4.) Motor = Aft Closure -> Thick O-ring -> Nozzle -> Liner Tube -> Washer -> Thin o-ring -> Forward Closure -> Ejection Charge.

RMS 29/40-120

1.) Delay Tube = Delay Spacer (if required), Delay Grain.

2.) Forward Closure = Delay Tube -> small thick o-ring.

3.) Liner Tube = Propellant Grain (tape on front end for E and F loads) -> Spacer (E and F loads only)

4.) Motor = Aft Closure -> Nozzle -> O-Ring* -> Liner Tube -> Washer -> O-Ring -> Forward Closure -> Ejection Charge.

* = The Nozzle seats INSIDE the liner tube, so the o-ring is place in the space between the wide base of the nozzle, the casing, end of the liner tube, and the closure.

I hope this helps.

Thank you all for your input. Tha Aerotech movie was very informative. I apologize for not being more specific. I have an 18mm a 24/40 and 29/120 kits. I will try and see if i can put it together.
One more question, Do the O-rings and forward and aft closures need to greased every time?
Thank again for all your help:D

The casings need to be cleaned between each flight. And, yes, the rings will need to be greased each time. Not much grease is needed. Just enough to lightly coat the O rings. If you live near a club, I'd wait and assemble it at a launch. I'm sure there would be some one there who would be more than willing to guide you through it the first time.

Thank goodness for Jason (jetra2). He probably helped me with my first 3 or 4 reloads before I was confident enough to do it on my own. It just seems like a lot is at stake - the rocket, the cost of the reload, and the casing itself. I think what helped me the most was learning the names of all of the parts. Identify each part and commit its name to memory. This way, when the instructions call for a certain part, you'll be able to identify it and place it correctly.

Latest posts

Back