AT or CTI?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT or CTI?

• AT

• CTI

Results are only viewable after voting.
Both. My favorite motor - the one I just flew. Next favorite - the one I'm about to fly.

I like CTI, first of all because its in canada so motors are more readily avalible here and second of all because its propellant formulations are better and they have better motors.

I like CTI, first of all because its in canada so motors are more readily avalible here and second of all because its propellant formulations are better and they have better motors.

I would be interested to know how many of each companies motors you flew to arrive at this conclusion.

Personally I fly all of them, CTI, AT and Loki. Current favorite motor is the Loki K1127 Thats about to change to the Loki M2550 ;). I also love Aerotech's 29/240 and 360 loads. all very cool and most ship non hazmat. The H268R is tons of fun. And it's hard to argue with liking motors like CTI's O3400.

My favorite motor is the CTI G150. Alot of fun in a small packet. :)

I would be interested to know how many of each companies motors you flew to arrive at this conclusion.

Personally I fly all of them, CTI, AT and Loki. Current favorite motor is the Loki K1127 Thats about to change to the Loki M2550 ;). I also love Aerotech's 29/240 and 360 loads. all very cool and most ship non hazmat. The H268R is tons of fun. And it's hard to argue with liking motors like CTI's O3400.

+1 David, each manufacturer has great choices in motors. I don't believe CTI has better motors/formulas than AT just different ones. AT chose to go one way with hardware and assembly CTI another and Loki yet another, none is "better" but people do have preferences.

Well CTI is better in preformance, their C* and Imax are really high impulse formulas.

Well CTI is better in preformance, their C* and Imax are really high impulse formulas.

My favorite motor is the CTI G150. Alot of fun in a small packet. :)

Which one?

If you already were set on one brand why ask the question in your first post. It could be considered "trolling".

I want to know what other people think, thats called a "question".

+1 David, each manufacturer has great choices in motors. I don't believe CTI has better motors/formulas than AT just different ones. AT chose to go one way with hardware and assembly CTI another and Loki yet another, none is "better" but people do have preferences.

Ditto here. Nothing against CTI it's just that I have other hardware although I don't mind doing small stuff. With smaller trackers I could do some of the multigrain 24mm CTI hardware and motors. I'm more like Rocketjoe 13 in #2 above. Kurt

How do you quantify better?

I understand your supply situation, and certainly appreciate that. That said, it does make it better.

If you are looking for a particular load in a certain size, specifically 24mm then I would generally agree to the CTI lineup wins there based on diversity etc.

Beyond that, I think the assessment is much more complicated as there are options. It depends on what you are after.

My favorite propellant is AT Mojave Green. One of the better isp propellants out there. As a matter of fact, I first chose to fly an I245 MG not based on it being green, but based on thrust curve and total impulse for that sized case. That the flame looks awesome is secondary to me, but it is really an excellent green. Then I flew a K805 MG, and that is my favorite motor now.

CTI/AT: either, neither or both. Or Estes. I use whatever is best suited for the specific rocket+field conditions+desired flight profile.

I can get CTI reloads close enough to pick up so shipping isn't an issue. That's a factor. But otherwise it doesn't matter to me anymore which manufacturer.

Performance is highly subjective. Each rocket and set of goals will require something different. CTI has some great motors and formulas, but I don't think a generalized "better" is accurate.

I agree that C* is impressive on paper. It is also a hot propellant, and I have seen a few go boom. The biggest boom was my failed L3 attempt on an M1830 C Star. Beautiful off the pad- 26 pounds with motor and hauling. For about a second, and then the liner failed...

Whether they be slow or fast, especially in the larger motors I go for the higher of the impulse for the money. In K motors and up I did a chart for newton's /$. That translates to more altitude for me.

Before the fire I'd have said CTI, I like the fact that they have a wider variety of motors in each diameter/grain length. I like variety, I'm more in the vein of 'fly the catalog' than to buy one motor lots of times, so the bigger the catalog the more fun it is for me. But since it's basically been impossible to get CTI motors for the past year (and I live in CA, so no Loki) it makes AT the only choice, doesn't matter which one I like if there's only one I can buy. And it does seem like AT has made some progress in certifying new motors over the past year or two, so their catalog is expanding (and between a H130W I flew last month, a J450DM I just bought yesterday and a K2050ST I'm waiting to fly I'm taking advantage of AT's newer offerings).

I've said before that I've found AT's delays to be terribly inaccurate (whether RMS or DMS, drilled or stock), too many have gone much earlier than desired, some quite a bit late. Just had an undrilled J180T-L delay fire over 7s early a few weeks ago. In contrast I've never had a surprise with CTI's delays (drilled and stock), they've always been well within the expected tolerance. So I like CTI much better in that respect, though my history with motor eject means I fly electronic-eject only whenever I can, the 'motor eject backup' is no good if it's the thing that damages/destroys the rocket. :p

I like cesaroni stuff purely for the convenience over the aerotech lube-tubes.
That being said, I'm not going to rule out getting aerotech or loki stuff since my local launch vendor carries all three.

This survey could be informative, or it could be a great way to start fWWIII (forum World War 3)

I like the variety that we have. I have cases for AMW, Aerotech, CTI, Kosdon, and Loki and I like to use them all. Sometimes I just want to jam a single use motor into a rocket and fly it using motor deployment; other times I enjoy sitting at my table prepping a dual deployment rocket with redundant electronics and building a motor with lots of o-rings. [emoji851]

Steve Shannon

My onsite vendor only carries AT. He is also the club president. No brainer. Buy from your local vendor if possible.

I went the CTI route to begin with since it's so readily available to me without HAZMAT (I fly in AMW's stomping ground).

Just this past LDRS I picked up an AT 38/1320 J510 and a Loki 38/1200 K1127

My favorite motor I've flown? Probably a tie between the CTI K740 (because I just LOVE C*) and the CTI L395 (because who can argue with a 12.5 second burn?).

But hey maybe my next favorite will be the J510 because it's got such a cool flame. Or maybe the K1127 because it's a K in a small(ish) package. Or maybe whatever motor I cert L3 on when that project gets off the ground.

How do you quantify better?

I understand your supply situation, and certainly appreciate that. That said, it does make it better.

If you are looking for a particular load in a certain size, specifically 24mm then I would generally agree to the CTI lineup wins there based on diversity etc.

Beyond that, I think the assessment is much more complicated as there are options. It depends on what you are after.

My favorite propellant is AT Mojave Green. One of the better isp propellants out there. As a matter of fact, I first chose to fly an I245 MG not based on it being green, but based on thrust curve and total impulse for that sized case. That the flame looks awesome is secondary to me, but it is really an excellent green. Then I flew a K805 MG, and that is my favorite motor now.
Well i am only an L0 so the pro24s are the best option for me. Also, i do like the AT SU motors in the 29mm size but the shipping from the US would be about 50$ per motor.

Back