AT L-1000 DMS – flying case with a nose cone and 4 fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut some clam-shell shims for the tower, but will likely not use them. They fit too tight on the motor and its not clear to me how easily they will come off during flight. Neat thought, but probably a solution looking for a problem...
Resized_20210126_181914_1279.jpeg

I just hastily put together an OR sim. The airframe diameter is 4mm with 0 wall thickness and this is just my concept from the photos you've shown to this point. Interestingly, the rocket needs a lot of inertia for altitude. My sim shows only about 24K feet at a 3,800' launch altitude AGL ... but it hits Mach 3.45. You really should switch to CF fins. I'm not sure the G10 is going to hold up. When you presss the button, this thing is going to sound like a very loud gunshot.

Here's what I put together. I don't have your fin dimensions, but what is in here seems optimal. You do not want fin height to be less than 1.1x airframe diameter or you may have a serious coning issue. There is 4 oz. of ballast and the electronics, sled bulkheads, etc. are estimated to be 4 oz. Single deploy with a 24" chute and a 20' long Kevlar shock cord.

Feel free to use the OR file if you want. I'd love to see a video of this. Something pulling 55Gs is just a thrill to see.

L1000 Rocket.jpg

Attachments

• L1000 rocket.ork
    1.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I just hastily put together an OR sim. The airframe diameter is 4mm with 0 wall thickness and this is just my concept from the photos you've shown to this point. Interestingly, the rocket needs a lot of inertia for altitude. My sim shows only about 24K feet at a 3,800' launch altitude AGL ... but it hits Mach 3.45. You really should switch to CF fins. I'm not sure the G10 is going to hold up. When you presss the button, this thing is going to sound like a very loud gunshot.

Here's what I put together. I don't have your fin dimensions, but what is in here seems optimal. You do not want fin height to be less than 1.1x airframe diameter or you may have a serious coning issue. There is 4 oz. of ballast and the electronics, sled bulkheads, etc. are estimated to be 4 oz. Single deploy with a 24" chute and a 20' long Kevlar shock cord.

Feel free to use the OR file if you want. I'd love to see a video of this. Something pulling 55Gs is just a thrill to see.

View attachment 448593

I don't think Justin has asked for unsolicited advice at all in this thread....

that said, ive flown 89G, over mach 3 to 30k' on 1/8" G10 fins multiple times. these fins will be fine.

View attachment 448593
I'm all set thanks.

Why would I need to switch to carbon fins when one of two that were built has carbon fins (plus glass fin-to-fin) over that?

She’s gonna TEAR off that rail boy!!!

going to be one heck of a flight

wishing you all the best. The bird will do fine, just hope you get her back!

Utterly amazed by your craftsmanship. Incredible. I just had to say so.

Back