AT L-1000 DMS – flying case with a nose cone and 4 fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got a fin tacked on, 3 more to go. Just realized though, it may have been better to have glued the coupler in place before working on the potentially "delicate" fin can... Meh, might change the order of operation on the second one.
20201129_204401.jpg

Would there be any issues besides heat doing a tip to tip CF on this?

Would there be any issues besides heat doing a tip to tip CF on this?

There would be no issue adding CF fin-to-fin other than weight, fin thickness, and a little bit of added drag. At the end of the day, it would not add much weight, but my challenge with a project like this is trying to be as minimal as possible (but still stay in bounds of sound reasoning and safety). More build photos to come... :)

Two small layers of glass, one slightly smaller than the other. Pic does not show that detail well.

We should set up a guesstimate contest. Participants don't get any other details then are available from following the thread. They need to guess at what altitude rapid disassembly takes place (if at all). Closest guesses are put in a hat, one winner drawn, and the winner gets an L1000.

The challenge will be in determining when the fins peel the casing apart, and how far up it'll travel upward yet before disassembly 😃

Aerotech? Dealer?

Of course, you'll need to get the altimeter back to confirm.

We should set up a guesstimate contest. Participants don't get any other details then are available from following the thread. They need to guess at what altitude rapid disassembly takes place (if at all). Closest guesses are put in a hat, one winner drawn, and the winner gets an L1000.

The challenge will be in determining when the fins peel the casing apart, and how far up it'll travel upward yet before disassembly 😃

Aerotech? Dealer?

Of course, you'll need to get the altimeter back to confirm.

honestly, so long as the fins are on dead-nut straight; i bet it all stays together

g-force shouldnt be much of an issue here as the adhesives in use should be able to the bond for the duration of the high stress portions of the flight

how long do you anticipate being over Mach?

Looking great Justin. I personally think this rocket has very little chance of shredding. interesting project for sure. im building the big brother of this with the O, much like Tony's.

Nice. I waiting for my first FG kit, madcow trinity. First build, I already have many questions

This thread is opening my eyes to so many cool and fun possibilities. I’m also getting quite an education from the photos and commentary. I will follow this thread til it’s launched and beyond. I’d love to see this flight in person.

Keep the photos and educational comments coming!

I see the fins glassed on. There should be no problems with the fins staying on as long as the motor is well sanded where the glue goes. From 1992, this rocket had surface mounted fins with glass in the fillets. They stayed on for the O3000 flight :) In the pic, you can see how I kept the glass in place - sand bags :) and the finished fin above the sand bags. Video is in the Point 39 Productions LDRS XI video.
CB110 V3 Build 6a.jpg

Back