AT L-1000 DMS – flying case with a nose cone and 4 fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored (2) Perfectflite SLCF's, going to use those altimeters instead of the Missile Works unit to shorten the coupler as much as reasonably possible. Working on a compact sled for the first build.

Resized_20201111_201130_7924.jpegResized_20201113_082044_1407.jpeg

I had once developed a "pancake" altimeter bay that fit a LiPo and Altus Metrum Easy Mini inside of a 54mm coupler that was 1.5-2" long. IIRC the PF has a similar footprint, let me know if you'd like me to dig up the CAD's and make you some parts.

I also had one break with a 38mm Madcow rocket on a G64... I would love to see somebody make a fly-away rail guide made out of something other than plastic.

I will consider this, though I do worry if the release has any issue the fins will fail instead of the guide. CNC mill arrives in ~2 weeks.

Oh I'm stealing that idea. With access to a laser cutter I'd do some balsa underneath to support it but that'd be only change. I feel kinda dumb now as this would have been easy gains on our past project. In addition, this would have served as protection for the wires we ran along the sustainer nozzle.

What's interesting about this tailcone, the carbon is really there to help hold the tape/epoxy in place. The bulk if not all of the carbon will be sanded off (carefully), but we will get to that this weekend. More to come.

It would be really cool to have an unlimited division record set. Based on impulse with the only limitation being a factory motor. You can do anything to the factory motor that your cert allows including EX stuff like this. As long as it's factory propellant with a factory nozzle. This would allow use of heavily modified motors for high altitude records.

Need to space out and cut some partial REK airframe pieces to shore up some Badass fin guides. Next time, I'll reach out to Ian and see if he can make these guides to fit directly over the OD of the AT glass case.
Resized_20201123_142130_9114.jpeg

Back