AT L-1000 DMS – flying case with a nose cone and 4 fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfjustin

Reaction score
The AT L-1000 DMS has been out for a number of years, but I have not played with one yet. In short, I plan to glue and composite reinforce a coupler directly to the top of the L-1000 and see what kind of altitude can be obtained by mostly eliminating a traditional airframe. Tfish posted some helpful information here which led to a McMaster-Carr order.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/dms-l1000-dimensional-drawings.69621/#post-2002143
Resized_20201012_185307_7119.jpegResized_20201012_185522_3730.jpegResized_20201012_191018_3906.jpeg

Going to cut a small switch band from a REK tube to make sure the nose cone stays true during boost. Single deploy on this one, KISS.
Resized_20201012_185343_680.jpeg

Oh, yes, I like this a lot.

Keep it as bare-bones a possible......no paint, no rail buttons (launch tower or flyaway guides perhaps), etc.

And PLEASE keep posting updates, pics, video, etc.

nice,
s6

Can't wait to see THIS video.........and sounds like a perfect application for the new Eggtimer apogee......

Head end apogee deploy with LL Electronics tracker (trying to keep the tracking as small as possible). Single RRC3 for deployment, they are solid, tried and true. :)

At BALLS last year there were 6 guys who all did something similar. I was standing in line with my Wildman Mach 2 loaded with an L1000 and I watched rocket after rocket shred...some 10 feet off the tower, some as they went transonic. But they all failed. I still want to do this too though. Keep posting!

At BALLS last year there were 6 guys who all did something similar. I was standing in line with my Wildman Mach 2 loaded with an L1000 and I watched rocket after rocket shred...some 10 feet off the tower, some as they went transonic. But they all failed. I still want to do this too though. Keep posting!
By shred your saying fins came off?

Not feeling very warm and fuzzy about this now! :wavingsanta:

I'd use better epoxy if you wanted to make it. We used panel bonding with mixing nozzles to keep air from being mixed in on our surface mount fins for an M min diameter booster. Worked great. Fins even survived mach 2.5 on the sustainer with same arrangment. If you moved the fins forward about 3.5" from base you'd have the makings of a very nice sustainer on a two stage project. Plus less drag up high means fins are more likely to stay on(my unsupoorted theory).

I'd use better epoxy if you wanted to make it. We used panel bonding with mixing nozzles to keep air from being mixed in on our surface mount fins for an M min diameter booster. Worked great. Fins even survived mach 2.5 on the sustainer with same arrangment. If you moved the fins forward about 3.5" from base you'd have the makings of a very nice sustainer on a two stage project. Plus less drag up high means fins are more likely to stay on(my unsupoorted theory).
I've done a Wildman Mach 2 on an L-935 to 23K with just JB Weld with good results. This build will have a slight leg up on what I have done before, more to come...

I look forward to seeing this thing fly. If you pull this off I recommend looking at filling a 54mm airframe with propellant if your into EX. The volume increase using a 2.25" airframe as the casing in a manner similar to your project here is impressive.

The amount of force on the fins at those speeds is significant. And any misalignment will greatly increase that stress. That stress will be transferred to directly to the motor case, which was never intended to be a structural component. Fins that are adhered directly to the case will add force/stress that was never part of the design intent of that disposable case. It's likely that at those speeds, and with any non-zero angle of attack, the amount of force/stress transferred to the case will be very significant, and could certainly cause the case to fail.

Or maybe not!

Tony

PS: by fail I don’t mean the case actually failing, but the case may flex enough that the fins decide to go their own way

Last edited:
Back