AT I 49 & I 59 motors.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
I just picked these 2 up from the Wildman in his year end sale.
They are intended for upper stage rocket that I've been working on for a number of years. I recently learned that they require a new closure ( I have one on order) to fly them.
I know that the I 49 is just an end burn & the I 59 has 1 grain of WL on the bottom of the solid Warp 9 grain.

Has anyone actually flown either of these?

JD

I have flown 2 I49's in a 12" saucer, where the long burn is ideal. The first flight was in low winds and it went in an upward trajectory. In higher winds at RG7, it weather cocked badly and most of the flight was headed down range. Still cool. Should be a nice motor for real rockets too.

I used the special closure but I think someone posted that they used a normal one with the well plugged with an inert plug.

Make sure you bring 5-minute epoxy if you build on-site.

Out of maybe 5 online vendors 1 listed the special closure. One other vendor made reference to it, but wasn't listed for sale.....

The rocket was designed & built back in 1997.
The upper stage has flown at NY Power as a single stage to test stability.
The booster was built back in 1996 & flown about 3 times (not recently)
on G to I motors. Both are 3" diameter.

Planned flight for 2 stage variation;
I 300 to I 49
I 357 to I 59
or some combination in between.

JD

I put an I59 in my King Kraken. Had a great distinction between the boost and sustain phase, and it got it up to 3500'.

Absolutely great motor, worth doing it again!

I have SEEN the I49 go up in a saucer..It was VERY cool! That LOOOOOONG burn was very impressive! Would post a link but the clubs website is having 'problems':rolleyes:

I have SEEN the I49 go up in a saucer..It was VERY cool! That LOOOOOONG burn was very impressive! Would post a link but the clubs website is having 'problems':rolleyes:

Tom B. launched my 12" Nite saucer on that I49, very cool flight!:w:

I recently learned that they require a new closure ( I have one on order) to fly them.
I've been looking for that closure but I can't find any vendor listing it... at leats the ones I know (short list).

Copuld you please tell me where did you get yours?

You can PM me if you prefer.

Thank you!

I've been looking for that closure but I can't find any vendor listing it... at leats the ones I know (short list).

Copuld you please tell me where did you get yours?

You can PM me if you prefer.

Thank you!

I got mine from red arrow hobbies for $40.
https://www.redarrowhobbies.com/aerotech_rms_hardware.htm

Commonwealth.net also has the rouse-tech version $35.20
https://www.commonwealth.net/cgi-bi...ctkey=prodline&groupkey=prodgroup&showsort=no

I used the EBFC on a G69N, pretty cool motor. I have an I49, and built a rocket to fly it in but it came out too heavy for the motor (about 1.5 lbs empty). I think I'm going to convert a light MPR kit for DD in order to fly the I49.

Last edited:
Here's an I59 in a 4" tube fin rocket, about 5 lb.
[YOUTUBE]CfakgPehHQw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I launched an I49 this weekend and loved the motor in my saucer. However, when I was cleaning the case, there was discoloration on the outside of the motor case. Anyone else have this with their motors? The liner was pretty much gone. No blistering of the case, but it turned a small portion of my Dr. Rocket case from red to yellow. Thanks.

I launched an I49 this weekend and loved the motor in my saucer. However, when I was cleaning the case, there was discoloration on the outside of the motor case. Anyone else have this with their motors? The liner was pretty much gone. No blistering of the case, but it turned a small portion of my Dr. Rocket case from red to yellow. Thanks.

The only 100% way to know if its ruined, is to fly the case again!! :p

To me it sounds like you got some heat stress on there

Ben

I've flown two and in both cases the liner was mostly gone. IIRC AT said this was expected. Doesn't sound like it can be a good thing to me, but who am I to say. The inside is discolored but there is no discoloration on the outside.

You got a hotspot in that case. Had the heat source stayed it would have blistered and eventually burned through. With no blistering I can't say how bad it is damaged but it is damaged. Somebody else can hopefully elaborate here but I believe the 'temper' is gone. Use again at your own risk! I would call/email AT and ask for further instruction.

That's good advice. I'd be interested to hear what they say.

I will take a picture and send to Aerotech. I will also post here as well.

I just got off the phone with Karl at Aerotech. He recommended that I send the case back to them and they will look the case over. If the case is bad, he stated that they would replace it. Cannot complain about that! I will let everyone know what happens.

How many times has the case been fired before the I49 flight?
Were there any close calls on any of those flights?
It might not have been from the I49 alone....

JD

I've maybe had 4 or 5 flights on the case before, all pretty mild loads. I would have noticed this if it was another load. I like to keep my cases nice and shiny. It was definitely the I49 load that caused the discoloration.

Back