At G79

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Just ordered a casing for the new 29-120 G79 along with a few reloads for same :) Ken at Performance Hobbies has 'em if you are quick!

Dick...
Am I correct in assuming there's no hazmat on the shipping of the G79's?

will the new size also work with the standard closures?

There won't be for me as Ken is local. I suspect that they should be in the same category as G64s, which I think requires the hazmat fee. I've never had G reloads shipped to me so I forget whether they require hazmat, sorry.

They use the same closures as the 29mm hpr cases, not the hobbyline case.

After further searching....I need to look a little too, I guess :rolleyes:

From Aerotech's website:
"The 29mm G79W can be shipped via U.S. Postal Service Parcel Post with no hazmat fee, due to the fact that the individual propellant grains weigh less than 30 grams each. "

Also from Aerotech's site:
"The G79W is NOT compatible with the 29/40-120 model rocket RMS hardware."

Still can't answer the shipping question. The G79 requires a new 29/120 case. The closures are the same as the other 29mm hpr. Per Ken who has them in hand.

I assume if you put the G79 slugs in the 29/100, they will hang out. In the 29/180 they will be short. May also vary in daimeter from the other 29mm HPR reloads (?)

Originally posted by RocketboyG80
Thanks for the tip off rstaff, I made an order from Performance just now.

You are welcome. I wanted to give the TRFers a shot at this stuff, he has limited quantities. (Magnum will probably have a gazillion shortly however)

I guess I saved about half the cost of the complete hardware set just on my first order of reloads :) (over the cost of G80s)

Also, since the closures are the same I might have to move up to 29mm hpr. Hmmmmm.

Originally posted by rstaff3
You are welcome. I wanted to give the TRFers a shot at this stuff, he has limited quantities. (Magnum will probably have a gazillion shortly however)

Ross had them and loads at LDRS ; but he sold out quickly. BTW the 29/120 case I got had a 2002 date of manufacture on it. The ones Ken had were the same ; as was one Gary Rosenfiled provided for the LDRS raffle. The G61 reload for the 38MM looks interesting as well.

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Survivor

I just got a 120 case. Havent flown it yet. Does anyone know if AT are going to make reloads for the 29/60 and the 29/100 case anymore. I have one G104T and one F62T for them left. I liked the G104 and the F62. I hope Gary R. will start making them again. And/or make some more reloads for the 120 case.

Originally posted by ClusterWiz
I just got a 120 case. Havent flown it yet. Does anyone know if AT are going to make reloads for the 29/60 and the 29/100 case anymore. I have one G104T and one F62T for them left. I liked the G104 and the F62. I hope Gary R. will start making them again. And/or make some more reloads for the 120 case.

Aeroteh does still make loads for the 29/60 and 29/100. I bought one of each from Ken Allen at TRF 2004 :). Brand Spanken new... the WL was still green from manufacturing :). F62 is such a sweet motor... I plan to give my Initiator a ride with the G104 this weekend :)

Originally posted by rstaff3 I assume if you put the G79 slugs in the 29/100, they will hang out. In the 29/180 they will be short. May also vary in daimeter from the other 29mm HPR reloads (?)

Correct on the Assesment on the of not being compatible with the /60 and /100 case. Wrong on them being a different diameter. The grains are the same grains you will get with the H128, H180, and I200 loads. You will just get two of them.

I just ordered mine from Ken Allen, claimed his last G79 loads too :)
Jim Flis will be picking them up for me at Naraam :)

I was thinking the grains should not be the same as the HPR reloads to make them immune from the Batf's asssertion that reloads that can be used in an HPR motor should require a LEUP. Also, in another thread, I thought Joe Buger said that the G79 slugs were not the same as used in the hpr reloads (but that the 38mm G was).

I'm not disputing what you said Doug, that just wan't my understanding earlier.

maybe... I read somewhere that the grains were the same. Maybe someone who has a load can tell us for sure.

I just compared my G79 and G61 reloads with my H128 and H123 reloads and I can't tell the grains apart. From the 2002 dates on the cases, mine are serial numbers 008 and 040 respectively, I believe that these loads were initiated when the scuttlebutt was that the BATF would regulate all reload kits containing > 62.5 grams of propellant. These motors/reloads would have allowed Aerotech to sell HP reload kits consisting of the nozzle/o-rings/delays and then sell the grains separately in the same way Ellis Mountain has been retailing their reload kits.

===KGH :)

As I remember the scuttlebut (at one time), is that the BATF would regulate any reloads that even could be used in a HPR motor. The hobbyline (eg G64) would have been ok as would the CTI G. However, the G61 would have been in the prior category. I think the G54/101/75 would have also.

This isn't necessarily fact just because I remember this:)

I thought Joe said that the 29/120 would be hobyline like the G64. I'll have to search for this reference.

Maybe Joe will read this thread.

Found the thread I was thinking of but the reference wasn't there. I guess the mind is the first thing to go :(

All the rmr posts I find confirm what Ken says.

That's what I recalled about the rumor regarding the "new" 29mm & 38mm "G" motors that was circulating in early 2002.

One nice thing about the new reloads, that I heard about at LDRS, is that the Bates grain configuration makes Redline reloads for those casings a possibility. Redline propellant reportedly doesn't work too well in the Hobbyline cases as the direct impingement of the flame on the liner, due to the slotted grains, "masks" the color with carbon particles.

===KGH :)

Now, I DID find Joe Burger's comments on this point :) He said redline reloads are imminent (SP?). Now this will be cool!

That matches the impression I got from Gary Rosenfield when he mentioned it at LDRS.

===KGH :D

Is there a reason that BATES grains cannot be used in the hobby line cases (24/40 and 29/40-120) albeit in a smaller form than the HPR ones?

Jason

My guess is that the burntime would be very short and the total impulse would be low with BATES grains. You would get more impulse and burntime out of a slotted geometry due to increased volumetric loading and a thicker grain "web".

i imagine you are right, although, (minus propellant burn rate) the difference is probably very small

Woohoo, just got my case and reloads from Perf Hobbies. The case is serial 037, mfg date 1/8/02. The case and rear closure are AT black and the forward closure is Dr Rocket red. Can't wait to fire it this weekend.

Dick 'doing my anti-rain dance' Stafford

I don't have any 29mm high power motors, but Ken H checked and they appear the same (see his earlier post). Even though its not how I remember the early discussions, the AT web site says they are:

"The G79W uses two standard grains from the 29mm high power RMS line, .."

The mind is the second thing to go and I don't remember what the first is.

Do we have any pictures of one of these being fired yet? Man, I wanna see it! I wanna see it!!! Even just post a shot of the reload...

Back