AT DMS CATO: A Memorial to My Level 1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again everyone for the helpful replies. Grouch: you chose your TRF username well. :)

In order to help myself deal better with this loss, I made the questionable decision to self-medicate by buying more rocketry stuff. Like most who self-medicate, I had an enabler: Mike Crupe from MAC Performance Rocketry. Mike is a first-rate enabler. He was more than happy to respond promptly and thoroughly to my questions, and I’m sure my 3” Firestick XL will be on its way to me soon. I'm already feeling better.

Buying more rocketry stuff is a proven mood enhancer, as most of you know. As most of you also know, however, it has its risks. It is highly habit-forming and in extreme cases can lead to strained finances and personal relationships.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for the helpful replies. Grouch: you chose your TRF username well. :)

In order to help myself deal better with this loss, I made the questionable decision to self-medicate by buying more rocketry stuff. Like most who self-medicate, I had an enabler: Mike Crupe from MAC Performance Rocketry. Mike is a first-rate enabler. He was more than happy to respond promptly and thoroughly to my questions, and I’m sure my 3” Firestick XL will be on its way to me soon. I'm already feeling better.

Buying more rocketry stuff is a proven mood enhancer, as most of you know. As most of you also know, however, it has its risks. It is highly habit-forming and in extreme cases can lead to strained finances and personal relationships.

Yup. Everyday I wake up and ask myself, is this the day my wife finally says she's had enough? So far, so good, though. :)

Do a simple project for certing. Going with an impressively built rocket can lead to the double disappointment that was experienced. True one can destroy a nice rocket during a flight but to destroy it during a certification attempt is even
more excruciating. Trash something that is a simple build is easier. Let the emotional attachment develop after the success. Kurt

Yes file a report. Just remember this is a hobby where failures happen ( just like model airplanes crashing). Also all manufacturers have had issues. The last 2 weeks I witnessed AT, CTI and Estes catos and ejection charges not firing and causing damaged and destroyed rockets. It is not limited to one manufacturer or type but a crash or cato still is not cool any way you look at it.

Tim and Bob I don't like it at all how its being dealt with. Flyers fly the motors and if it works fine. If not well the flyers deals with their loss. Sure they will replace the motor but in my case I lost $300 in the upper part of the rocket. I had no idea there was a thrust ring problem with the L1000s.

Back to the model airplane reference. If a engine flames out or radio glitches and you crash they will replace there product but not the plane. If they replaced the plane they would have to charge alot more for there motors in case of potential clames.
Not saying right or wrong just the way it is

I had no idea there was a thrust ring problem with the L1000s.

Exactly right. Nor did I know about the same problem on the DMS motor I recently purchased until reading the MESS website.

How about this? Put the onus on the retailer to inform the buying public about risky motors. If my car has a recall or service bulletin, then the automaker or dealer contacts me directly. Used car dealers are also required to disclose and perform recall repairs before offering the vehicle to the next customer. If ABC brand peanut butter is recalled, then the grocer removes it from the shelves and I hear about it on the nightly news. Granted, these are bigger issues than a model rocket, but you get the point.

I browsed the L1000 offerings on the websites of three popular online motor vendors. None of them mention the thrust ring problem nor the repair bulletin issued by Aerotech. When I add the motor to my shopping cart, there is still no message. There are repeated warnings about getting socked with $25 Hazmat, but no warning that this motor may destroy your rocket.

Exactly right. Nor did I know about the same problem on the DMS motor I recently purchased until reading the MESS website.

How about this? Put the onus on the retailer to inform the buying public about risky motors. If my car has a recall or service bulletin, then the automaker or dealer contacts me directly. Used car dealers are also required to disclose and perform recall repairs before offering the vehicle to the next customer. If ABC brand peanut butter is recalled, then the grocer removes it from the shelves and I hear about it on the nightly news. Granted, these are bigger issues than a model rocket, but you get the point.

I browsed the L1000 offerings on the websites of three popular online motor vendors. None of them mention the thrust ring problem nor the repair bulletin issued by Aerotech. When I add the motor to my shopping cart, there is still no message. There are repeated warnings about getting socked with $25 Hazmat, but no warning that this motor may destroy your rocket.

Apogee doesn't sell anything bigger than the 38mm in DMS, but they do list the thrust ring problem on all the 38mm DMS pages.

Apogee doesn't sell anything bigger than the 38mm in DMS, but they do list the thrust ring problem on all the 38mm DMS pages.

Apogee was not one of the three that I looked at, but this does not surprise me at all. Tim does the best job of providing information to the customer.

Back