AT Copperhead Interlock Igniter Clip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
I finally got one of these yesterday. I had every intention when I pulled it off the rack of soldering wires to it for my modular cabling system. After opening it today and reading the instructions, there is a suggestion that you can clip your standard alligator clips to the copper tabs on the ends of the conductors in the clip. The tabs are nicely sized for this and this makes sense - so here's the question.

Who uses their Interlock Clip this way? Is that reliable? Would I be "wasting my time" to bother with soldering wire to it (other than just to do it?)

That is how I use mine. I just hook the micro clips to the copperhead clip contacts. I also have a length of kevlar string and construction streamer attached to make the clip easer to find after launching. It doesn't happen often, but I have had the copperhead clip blown free of the micro clips during ignition. Also, with the string/streamer, I wrap it around something on the launch pad. I've had one occasion where the copperhead clip went up with the rocket.

I find it just as easy to use spent Estes igniter paper, lying about the pads, to insulate one side of the micro clips (for connection to Copperheads). That or tape works fine.

If I'm going to use a Copperhead, I use the clip. At our club, each of the cables ends in a Molex type 2 pin connector. I added a short length of cable and a mating connector to make a solid connection. I solderd the wire to the clip and heatshrunk it for good measure.

Yup, it's a belt-n-suspenders, over the top solution.

Originally posted by Stones
I find it just as easy to use spent Estes igniter paper, lying about the pads, to insulate one side of the micro clips (for connection to Copperheads). That or tape works fine.

Good tip, but pay close attention to the orientation of the clip. Ensure that the side connected directly to the wire lead contacts the igniter; use of the other jaw requires the current to go through the hinge and results in higher resistance in the circuit. A Copperhead does not need the added handicap.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill
Good tip, but pay close attention to the orientation of the clip. Ensure that the side connected directly to the wire lead contacts the igniter; use of the other jaw requires the current to go through the hinge and results in higher resistance in the circuit. A Copperhead does not need the added handicap.

Bill
Exactly. And it gets worse as propellant builds up on the clips. I usually dip the clips in white vinegar for a couple of minutes, followed by a water rinse, which seems to keep the corrosion level down. Thus, they last a little longer.

Man, had I had teh copperhead clip I would have launched my G-Force right into a storm :mad:

It works pretty good, I've used it with tiger tails before.

Back