Astronaut John Glenn’s Ohio hometown interested in Alabama rest stop rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I read the article and still don't understand why the small town would be interested in getting it because it says at the bottom of the article that it is too big to be transported due to the size of it and overpasses Within the road system:dontknow:

... And it's not the correct rocket, John Glenn never rode in a Saturn 1B. I guess Mercury capsules are hard to find these days.

well I read the article and still don't understand why the small town would be interested in getting it because it says at the bottom of the article that it is too big to be transported due to the size of it and overpasses Within the road system:dontknow:
There is a division of Rolls Royce that manufacturers some gigantic stuff near that part of Ohio. They, and the state, paid to have bridges, ramps, signage, etc. raised, widened, and so on between there and the Ohio River so that these enormous super oversized tractor trailers can get them from the factory to the oceangoing river barge.

If they can get it to the coast, it might be possible. Probably far to expensive, but it might be possible.

The Glenn Museum is the party that probably wants it - they may have endowment money that needs spending and even though Glenn never rode a S1b it would look pretty nifty on the museum grounds. He may have had some engineering input?

it said it was going to cost $7 million dollars to move and it said the population of the city was only 2400
Still not impossible. John Glenn was an American icon and was a Senator from our state for decades afterwards and was well liked by Democrats and Republicans alike. A GoFundMe in Ohio would probably raise $7 million.

there is still the number one obstacle, and that is the physical dimensions of the rocket, which it said was 22 ft in diameter, and secondly they said there was considerable deterioration so they did not know whether it would even survive being transported.

Honestly, I find it frustrating that these rockets still exist at all. Ideally, they would have fulfilled their purpose and been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for decades instead of rotting on display as a tourist attraction, and the only ones left would be non-flight articles like the SA-500D in Huntsville.
</rant>

Regardless, I don't see the rocket being moved successfully, but if they really just want the capsule, hopefully they can make it happen.

Regardless, I don't see the rocket being moved successfully, but if they really just want the capsule, hopefully they can make it happen.
that would be the reasonable and logical thing to do, and Logistics would make it very cost-effective for the community to have it on display.

$7M seems kind of ridiculous…that’s probably for a Smithsonian quality restoration. I suspect they could build a display quality replica for much less. There is probably a lot more going on besides the cost of restoration.

Back